IT Query - Evans' Website

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
The other week I wanted to look up the price of something, so I searched and evans was the top hit - however, the website wouldn't load, so I looked elsewhere, putting it down to a passing glitch at evans. The same thing happened on Saturday - evans won't load. I've tried three browsers on my laptop (Chrome, Firefox, Opera) - still no joy. I've tried two browsers on my phone (Firefox, Safari) - still no joy. I then checked on downforeveryoneorjustme.com because it seemed weird that a major store would be down for so long, and it is up, apparently - an lo and behold, if I connect via Tor on my laptop, I can get to their website.

On every browser other than Tor, on two different devices, I get a variation of 'the request timed out'

Anyone any idea what's going on?

Cheers

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Are you going straight to the Evans website or going through a search engine, and do you have an adblocker installed?
Mine wont let me access some websites if they show as an ad on the search results.
upload_2019-9-16_6-46-45.png
doesnt work, but
upload_2019-9-16_6-47-46.png
does work

Milkfloat

An Peanut
When you tried on your phone is it going via your wifi? If so, turn off your wifi and try over the mobile network. This will help rule out a provider issue.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
When you tried on your phone is it going via your wifi? If so, turn off your wifi and try over the mobile network. This will help rule out a provider issue.
Hmm - you're right - it works on my phone via the 4G connection, but not off my wifi connection - which rather suggests my ISP is the issue.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
So am I. Any other users on Virgin who can or cannot see the Evans website?

I sense a conspiracy!

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Spoke to evans today via their website - turns out they know that Virgin customers can't see the website, and they're trying to sort it out. How peculiar.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Does it work in different browsers for you? I can't see it in any browser, but it's fine at work (different internet provider)

EDIT - tor connects via annoymous proxy so the traffic to and from evans is not carried by virgin - just the data from the proxy to me as far as I understand it - so the reason it works there is because virgin don't know I'm viewing it.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Same here i've ended up using tor just to get it to work.
Only other one I trust to use along with safari and fire fox.

Top Bottom