Italian BB - help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derge

I'm restoring an old Fausto Coppi bike/frame and I ran into some issues.

The existing BB was seemingly welded to the frame through corrosion etc, so I had some help from the LBS removing it.
Now, the right hand side is Italian threaded, so the replacement BB I have (below) won't work. I bought a whole new Claris groupset so I'd like to either use that or as much of the existing (though pretty knackered) Sora groupset, but I'm not too precious about that.

I can't for the life of me find an Italian threaded BB to replace the one that came with the new groupset. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations?

Thanks!
eng_bb.PNG

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A quick Google brings up several options including this one.
https://freshtripe.co.uk/velo-orange-grand-cru-italian-threaded-bottom-bracket/

OP
OP
D

derge

Are Italian BB's usually 70mm not 68mm as the OP?

Spacycles have Stronglight BBs for £23, just select Italian and the correct length from the drop down menu.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m16b0s110p140/STRONGLIGHT-Bottom-Bracket-JP400-Aluminium

Edit: "Please note that the Italian threaded BBs, are marked '68mm - 36 x 24' but are in fact for a 70mm shell" from Spacycles web page.

Yeah, apologies - the BB in the pic is an English thread BB that came with the new groupset I bought. I don't have a pic of the original BB.

GuyBoden

Guru
Go thread less got to be the easiest way @derge

A threadless BB seems a reasonable idea, but I have an Italian BB in one of my bikes, it's been working fine for years, but I used loctite on the driveside cup.

Read below for Italian BB.
"Precession occurs when the forces acting on the driveside of the bottom bracket — which is right-hand threaded — make it unscrew from the bottom bracket shell."

Campag fans with an Italian BB will disagree.:blush:

Been wondering about this precession thing lately. I'm inclined to think it's a legacy of the old cup and ball BB system, and doesn't apply to the more modern cartridge style BB. In other words, you could have regular threads on both the drive and non drive sides, without issue, if using a cartridge BB. Or am I completely barking up the wrong tree?

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A threadless BB seems a reasonable idea, but I have an Italian BB in one of my bikes, it's been working fine for years, but I used loctite on the driveside cup.

Read below for Italian BB.
"Precession occurs when the forces acting on the driveside of the bottom bracket — which is right-hand threaded — make it unscrew from the bottom bracket shell."

Campag fans with an Italian BB will disagree.:blush:

Had a couple of Italian threaded drive cups loosen off on rides in the past

Top Bottom