It's a "write off"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peteoc

Just over a week ago I was in an accident with a car, head on impact xx(

I finally got round to taking the bike to the shop today and they've said it's a write off due to the cost to try and fix it, not knowing if the front forks are knackered means the cost would outweigh the cost of the bike.

As such I've ordered a new bike :wacko:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Ah well - look forward to the new one.

Have you tried claiming on car owner's insurance?

OP
OP
peteoc

peteoc

im fine yeh, just lower back and right hip damage.

The bike needed 2 new wheels, tyres & inner tubes
front forks
new pedals

The guy in the shop said they're not willing to take liability on me riding the bike as they cannot be certain the front forks aren't cracked inside. The cost of an x-ray to check the forks is more than my bike is worth :biggrin:

Hopefully the insurance company wont want the bike and I'll have a set of spares for my new bike :smile:

The car's insurance is covering all costs which is good.

montage

God Almighty
what bike is it?
it could be cheaper to buy the spare parts

OP
OP
peteoc

peteoc

it's a Trek 1.2c - I'm not fussed about the cost etc as im getting the money back. It's just a matter of them leaving the old bike with me to use as spares or sell on :biggrin:

montage

God Almighty
peteoc said:
it's a Trek 1.2c - I'm not fussed about the cost etc as im getting the money back. It's just a matter of them leaving the old bike with me to use as spares or sell on :smile:

In that case....crash bike....get insurance...get new bike...+old bike spares....RESULT

I see now :biggrin:

shippers

Similar thing with me. Giant Defy 4. Forks and handlebars- you can sort of see it on my profile pic.

Why would the bike shop not write it off?
1- You're likely to buy a new bike off them
2- You probably want it to be written off so you can buy a new bike off them
3- If they say it's OK and a hairline crack on the frame gives way when you're doing 35, they're in a sticky position!

I have to say, I'm tempted to try to get the giant fixed up!

Word of caution- my accident was in Feb. Not been paid out yet!

OP
OP
peteoc

peteoc

fortunately the guy who hit me/got in my way has admitted the crash was his fault and the police were involved so it shouldn't hopefully take too long.

I'm lucky enough to have the spare cash to buy another bike until this is sorted and I'll then stick the cheque back in the bank.

The bike shop where I got the bike are really good, the bike is only 2 months old so they were happy to order me a new one without any deposit and get it in the shop by 4pm tomorrow for me to take home :biggrin:

bauldbairn

peteoc said:
It's just a matter of them leaving the old bike with me to use as spares or sell on :biggrin:

Glad your okay though Peter. :biggrin:

Not trying to shoot down your idea completely - but are you totally sure you'd be happy selling on parts from an insurance write off. If the bike required pedals/forks/wheels it doesn't sound like there was an area of the bike that didn't suffer trauma? :blush:

shippers

peteoc said:
fortunately the guy who hit me/got in my way has admitted the crash was his fault and the police were involved so it shouldn't hopefully take too long.

Yup, same with me.

I put my new one on the credit card where the balance continues to fester!
My solicitor had to threaten court action to get the insurance company to start doing anything.

Just in case- Jonathan Lear at Bikeline;
0151 3484400

Top Bottom