It's all gone!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
All my saved stuff on the pc. Just logged into my user account and all my photo's, music and settings have disappeared.

Have logged in and out a couple of times and have had a look round for it but it's all gone I think. Don't know where though.

Using XP on a laptop, logged out ok this morning as normal.

A lot of it was backed up but not the photo's from my sisters wedding I was to copy and send off tonight. :ohmy:

Any ideas please?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I can't remember - and my technical support person hasn't arrived home - but I'm sure whenever it goes wrong the first thing he does is take a copy of what is there before doing anything - obviously not overwriting any previous copies. The photos of your sister's wedding aren't still on the card as well are they?

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Ta Summerdays, if I only knew how to take a copy I'd do it now.

The photo's are not on the card anymore. *swear*

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
First thing to do, is nothing. So the less you do the better. If they are deleted you'll start to overwrite the space they occupied. Can you access another PC? Have you got a USB? Download this portable recuva program on the other pc, and stick it in your USB, plug that into your other(Tooo many others, Elmer!!)main PC and see what it finds. Do a search first for any file name you can remember. See if it shows up. This worked for me BTW a few weeks back got most if not all the folder I'd binned.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Ok, am doing nothing, might be able to do the recover program thing from work tomorrow.

Looking round I found "System Restore" in the control panel, haven't played with it yet, am following the do nothing approach but is it worth playing with?

Not come across this problem before and am not too hot with computers.

Edit: it's not just a folder, it's everything that's missing.

Elmer Fudd

A system restore "may" do it. If it doesn't you can always "undo" the restore. I'm not too hot/sure/can't remember if it recovers your personal files, I've had mine on a seperate drive/partition for years (can still delete 'em tho'!). We need someone wiser than I. I am but a mere wabbit culler.
Elmer Fudd said:
This worked for me BTW a few weeks back, got most if not all the folder I'd binned.
I hadn't noticed this for at least five days!!

Elmer Fudd

One more thought, were you renaming anything this A.M. Rename and Delete are stupidly close together. Have a quick look in your recycle bin, although if the missing files were in My Doc's My Pic's and My Music, theoretically(!!) you shouldn't be able to delete (the actual) folders, Contents yes. Folders no.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What might be missing could be the directory structure rather than the actual files (she says hopefully) ... but you need someone more technical than us I think.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Panic over!

A quick and simple "system restore" did the trick ;)

I only had a quick browse while having a brew this morning so don't know why it did it, but will be backing up stuff shortly, just in case.

Thanks all.

Elmer Fudd

You should always keep ye personal stuff seperate from the system, easier said than done. I kniow sys restore says your personal files will not be affected but couldn't remember if it pulled them back.
Anyhowz, we all love a happy ending. We gonna see the piccies now though??

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Glad it worked - I always leave photos on the card for as long as possible just to make sure they are well into any backup's we do - "he" does a monthly back up and then stores it away from the house as a precaution. Note if it was left to me ... we would be in trouble.

Nick_B

Glad you got your pics back. What might have happened is that you accidentally dragged one folder into another. In that case doing a search for the folder name or a file in the folder could have helped.

Elmer Fudd

Nick_B said:
Glad you got your pics back. What might have happened is that you accidentally dragged one folder into another. In that case doing a search for the folder name or a file in the folder could have helped.

Done that as well!! Too fast moving mouse across window, meanwhile "right-button" finger involuntarily twitches!! All good fun though :ohmy:

Top Bottom