Its Been 12 Months Since

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

The man in the van rang my bell and handed me the big box containing my new Genesis Flyer. In that 12 months we've covered 3113 miles together. Until I retired at Christmas it was my trusty commuter, since the end of October last year its been my winter bike. I've also done a charity ride on it, with riding to and from the event I clocked up 67 miles raising money for the NSPCC. When I brought it I converted it to fixed, added a pair of mudguards, my prefered tyres and, after a bit of faffing about, a rear carrier, after a few weeks I upgraded the wheels with a nice set from Planet X and swapped the stock saddle for the charge spoon off my Pearson. Just before Christmas I replaced the knackered chain, bottom bracket and chairing, I left the original 3/32 chainring on the bike when I did the fixed conversion and the 1/8 chain chewed through it quite quickly, a couple of weeks ago I changed the knackered front brake blocks for new Koolstop Salmons. I've also got through a set of tyres, the front picked up a sizable cut just before Christmas, and the back started to break up a couple of weeks ago, that could have been due to pothole damage, just before Christmas I hit a pothole at pace and needed the back wheel truing afterwards. Its been a good year, the bike goes and handles well, and I've done some good rides on it. It seems a bit slow on the climbs compared to the Pearson I had before it, but the genesis is a little more stable on fast bumpy descents compared to the Pearson. Overall I'm pleased with it, its a lovely bike and I've had a lot of fun riding it.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/i-love-it-when.175780/

20150305_112326.jpg 20160303_122518.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

clid61

Veteran
Thats great. Im aiming to retire this year and if I get as much pleasure out of riding as you do i'll be happy

JPBoothy

Veteran
Hi Dave, I've had my Flyer about 8mths but haven't done anywhere near your mileage. Initially I bought it as a fair weather play-thing but soon realised that we don't get enough fair weather so dropped the tyre size down to be able to fit mudguards. I tend to use for shorter rides when time is against me (2 small kids & a non-cycling Wife), as I always feel that the I've worked harder in that short time. I decided to leave a set of Flat Pedals on it so that I can just jump on it for trips to the shops, pub or, for any other excuse that I can think of for a ride without having to faff about with my spd's. I like the simplicity of having no gears to think about, and I think the paint finish and welds are first class..

Have you had a problem with your rear brake cable not returning? I have changed the Inner + Outer cable/housing several times but the problem remains. The caliper is totally free and the problem definitely appears to be the cable sticking in the outer. I am starting to think that the bend may be a bit too sharp where it runs beneath the bar tape from the hood. Any thoughts?

potsy

Rambler
Nice Dave :okay:

Got mine a month after you, done the grand total of 171 miles on it, nearly all single-speed with a handful of 'test' rides fixed side.
Originally was my commuting bike but recently has become my 'just popping to the shop' bike.

I changed the tyres to my preferred Schwalbes, added some Shimano XT spd pedals, mudguards were fitted before I collected it from the lbs, and apart from that it is all original.

IMG_1699[1] (3).jpg

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Hi Dave, I've had my Flyer about 8mths but haven't done anywhere near your mileage. Initially I bought it as a fair weather play-thing but soon realised that we don't get enough fair weather so dropped the tyre size down to be able to fit mudguards. I tend to use for shorter rides when time is against me (2 small kids & a non-cycling Wife), as I always feel that the I've worked harder in that short time. I decided to leave a set of Flat Pedals on it so that I can just jump on it for trips to the shops, pub or, for any other excuse that I can think of for a ride without having to faff about with my spd's. I like the simplicity of having no gears to think about, and I think the paint finish and welds are first class..

Have you had a problem with your rear brake cable not returning? I have changed the Inner + Outer cable/housing several times but the problem remains. The caliper is totally free and the problem definitely appears to be the cable sticking in the outer. I am starting to think that the bend may be a bit too sharp where it runs beneath the bar tape from the hood. Any thoughts?

Not had that problem, I did find that the allen screw holding the rear caliper together worked loose, as did the lever, took about ten minutes to sort out, perhaps that needs checking on yours. I use clips and straps on mine.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Nice Dave :okay:

Got mine a month after you, done the grand total of 171 miles on it, nearly all single-speed with a handful of 'test' rides fixed side.
Originally was my commuting bike but recently has become my 'just popping to the shop' bike.

I changed the tyres to my preferred Schwalbes, added some Shimano XT spd pedals, mudguards were fitted before I collected it from the lbs, and apart from that it is all original.

View attachment 120817

So you've barely run it in then! ^_^

JPBoothy

Veteran
Not had that problem, I did find that the allen screw holding the rear caliper together worked loose, as did the lever, took about ten minutes to sort out, perhaps that needs checking on yours. I use clips and straps on mine.
Hi Dave, that was worth a check but it wasn't my problem on this occasion. I have found and fixed the problem at last. I removed the end caps and examined all of the outer cable ends and discovered a very small burr which was catching the cable and preventing it from returning properly when the lever was released. A quick snip and file and good as new again :okay:... Had a nice run out on it down the River Mersey section of the Wirral coastal path in the sun yesterday morning.

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 113
Top Bottom