It's finally arrived! New croix de fer 20

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
These are the TRP Hyrds! I imagine it's an easy fix if you know what you're doing, but I'd got my head around the cheap cable discs on my other bike and these are a bit different :smile:

That's good, shouldn't be a lot more than adjustment, not that I'm the man to tell you how to do it.

The disc rotor sometimes needs a tweak, although that would usually be done to cure rub, but again you need to know what you are doing.

OP
OP
Wafer

Wafer

Veteran
I think part of the problem with the front one is the disc doesn't look like it's central between the pads, which I think means I need to undo the bolts mounting it to the frame slightly to tweak it. I had a quick try but the bolts seemed quite tight and I didn't want to push it too much.

OP
OP
Wafer

Wafer

Veteran
No, it's just the Olive green version. I was taking pics with my phone under the garage lights mind... At some point I'll get some proper outdoor pics with my SLR which should be better.

I'm planning on going back for a bikefit and have said since I ordered it that I'd be interested in seeing if a stem change would help.
That's probably a good idea, and get them to look at the positioning of the levers then too, as you shouldn't struggle to brake from the drops. Even if it's not something you do often, you want to be able to do it comfortably and effectively when you need to.

Quite a bit of travel on the brake levers, I tightened the back one but couldn't really work out what I was doing with the front, so even more annoyingly I ended up with different pull on each lever!
If you do a google search it seems that lever travel is a noted feature/issue with the Hy/Rds. Apparently it's just how they work. Do your levers come back and touch the bars when you squeeze hard? If so it needs looking at, but otherwise it might just be something you need to get used to. I am looking to get new calipers for my CX bike and was put off the Hy/Rds for this reason as I don't like a long lever pull.
Incidentally, I picked my bike up from the LBS at the weekend and the mechanic commented how much he liked my brakes compared to his discs. I asked him if he had BB5s, expecting he must have something inferior, but it turned out he had Hy/Rds. Apparently he found the Spyres on mine far easier to adjust and less faffy. I thought it would be the other way around tbh.

Any time I was in the big front ring I was getting chain rub noise, so that needs a little tweak and there were times when the cassette was jumping a bit. I'm assuming this is due to the lbs not quite getting it set up right, rather than an issue with Tiagra so can't mark it as a bad point of the bike.
That's poor on the bike shop's part. I have only been riding a year and am still pretty rubbish at most mechanical things but even I can index the gears and set up the front derailleur properly. Check out the GCN videos on Youtube for how-tos - I had no clue but learned in half an hour and a bit of trial and error from them. The rear will likely just need a few turns of the barrel adjuster - turn in towards the bike if the gears and jumping down the cog/not changing up smoothly, away from the bike if they are jumping up/not changing down smoothly. It's a doddle if you have a work stand and can turn the cranks and change gears while tweaking the barrel adjuster - you'll be able to hear from the sound of the chain chattering against the sprockets when it's slightly out of whack and, then a nice smooth sound as you turn the barrel to tweak the cable to the right tension.

I think part of the problem with the front one is the disc doesn't look like it's central between the pads, which I think means I need to undo the bolts mounting it to the frame slightly to tweak it.
Do you mean the rotor is set at an angle? If so it will need adjusting, but if it's parallel with the pads but further away from one you will just need to turn the pad in on that side. Not had a close look at Hy/Rds but with my Spyres it's a simple slot on the caliper - you just insert the correct sized allen key and turn clockwise to move the pad in, anti to bring it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wafer

Wafer

Veteran
Good info, cheers.
Bikefit tomorrow so will get stuff sorted then hopefully!

Do your levers come back and touch the bars when you squeeze hard?
Not that bad, but worse than I would have them on the other bike with the much lower quality disc brakes. The back one is now pretty tight so I'm sure it can be done. Have mentioned elsewhere thoguh that they can go soft and need a bit of a top up. Got the pack of info with the bike and TRP issue information/instructions on it, so looks like it could be done at home. I'll get LBS to do it though.

A while ago the LBS said they were recommending Spyres over Hyrds till they worked out the bit about topping up... Could well be a lot of people out there with spongey Hyrds that just need that to be fixed.

That's poor on the bike shop's part.
It is, have discussed with other people how LBS' really don't do themselves any favours at times. You're spending several hundreds, possibly thousands of pounds, and you expect it to be in mint condition when you pick it up. Guy at work got his Caadx a while ago and had to strip it down when he got it home because at least one cable had been left in a dangerous position. I know they can do it properly because I've taken my other bike in to be sorted before and they did it in 10 minutes, no fuss and absolutely spot on!

if it's parallel with the pads but further away from one you will just need to turn the pad in on that side.
Pretty sure that's it. I haven't had much of a look and a quick google didn't find anything, thanks for the pointer, should help.

The hopes are tubeless compatible(think they are the right ones);
Yeah, did check that once I worked out it was the pro2 evo hubs. Glad I have the option of tubeless, still not confident enough to go for it yet though :smile: Maybe in a while! There do seem to be some good tubeless options for the sort of thing I was after.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Just be careful when adjusting the TRPs.
I had an issue when I tightened them using the barrel adjuster, but that stopped new fluid coming to the piston which resulted in an eventual loss of braking.
The instructions from TRP state to only tighten the barrel adjuster by half a turn I think.

It is, have discussed with other people how LBS' really don't do themselves any favours at times. You're spending several hundreds, possibly thousands of pounds, and you expect it to be in mint condition when you pick it up. Guy at work got his Caadx a while ago and had to strip it down when he got it home because at least one cable had been left in a dangerous position. I know they can do it properly because I've taken my other bike in to be sorted before and they did it in 10 minutes, no fuss and absolutely spot on!

I guess it all depends on the size of the LBS, what their work schedule is like that day etc. The trick I think (though it's pretty much trial and error) is to find a specific mechanic you can trust, and maybe sometimes use different shops/mechanics depending on what your needs are.
I got friendly with a guy who owns a local bike shop through hiring him to do some work for our charity. That means I can now go in and watch/help when he does some work on my bike, plus he'll often do it for nothing or for a beer. However, I've also learned through doing this that as a small business dealing with mainly utility bikes in all states of disrepair he is brilliant at getting things back on the road, but not an expert in dealing with the latest tech on high-end machines. So for any of this kind of thing I would go to the local Trek dealer and ask for their mechanic who is an ex-pro cyclist. And be prepared for a high-end bill!
One thing I have learned never to do is ask anyone at my local Halfords to fix or adjust anything...

Good luck getting the brakes sorted, I'd be genuinely interested in an update on how they perform and how they are to adjust once you've lived with them a few months.

OP
OP
Wafer

Wafer

Veteran
Just got back from bikefit, didn't change a lot on the bike! Shifted the saddle slightly forward and up.
Otherwise thought it fit me pretty well, though I might be better off with shorter cranks as I seem to have short legs relatively and a long body!
I said I wondered if I needed a shorter stem, he reckoned I looked alright but could go a little shorter if wanted.

Probably more importantly I'd be better if I strengthened my core, which I kind of knew anyway. Also got cleats setup properly, apparently I have very long arches!

Got to say, though he didn't really change a lot it felt very worthwhile just talking through it all, having stuff explained and then having the confidence that the bike is right and I'm not just making stuff up based on stuff I've seen online.

totem

Total Newb, but eager to learn
@Wafer Looks nice. Are the mudguards the SKS longboards, 45mm? Looking for a set of guards for my croix de fer, was hoping to get your opinion/feedback on your set.

Are the pedals the shimnao m324?

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Wafer Looks nice. Are the mudguards the SKS longboards, 45mm? Looking for a set of guards for my croix de fer, was hoping to get your opinion/feedback on your set.

Are the pedals the shimnao m324?

@Wafer would also like to know what sks guards they are , as i would like a set for my new to me cdf .

Which i am loving to bits apart from the amount of spray the tyres throw up on to the frame going to be a pig to keep clean

OP
OP
Wafer

Wafer

Veteran
I'll double check tonight, but I'm pretty sure they are the sks longboards, I just asked shop to stick some mudguards on when I bought it :smile:
They had to do some jiggery pokery and use a stand off to fit them round the disc brakes but they did a decent job.

Top Bottom