It's happened

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crandoggler

Used my turbo a few times now and checked my rear tyre out.

It seems I have scores, or scratches along the tyre. Not overly sure why or how this has happened.

I'm aware that a spare wheel is ideal for a turbo, but I don't have that luxury. So what could be doing this? The roller is polished and doesn't have any rough areas. I can't imagine the heat is causing this? Anyway, shall I just use that tyre as a turbo only and buy a new one?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Could be heat or friction. Depends upon how much pressure the roller puts on the tyre.

I've used Michelin Pro Race tyres on a turbo with no problems. I do have a spare wheel with a cheap tyre on for such purposes.

The only problem is somebody borrowed my turbo and forgot to return it for the past two years, didn't you Gaz.
:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

Seems like this could get expensive lol. Only takes 5 mins to change a tyre I guess. But I'm a human and instinctively lazy.

Seems like this could get expensive lol. Only takes 5 mins to change a tyre I guess. But I'm a human and instinctively lazy.

There are specific 'turbo tyres' you can fit, the compound is very different to a road tyre, and they are deigned to work with roller resistance type turbo trainers

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-insider-folding-turbo-trainer-tyre/

These are the best I've personally used.

The other alternative, is to get a cassette fixed turbo trainer.

Again the best I've used, others are available

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wahoo-kickr-power-trainer-1/

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

Not a cheap hobby is it.

I've literally just bought the trainer, so it's going to stay. May buy a spare wheel,cassette and tyre though. For now this will have to do lol

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Do those who use a spare wheel with cassette not have any problems with chain wear/match when moving between road and trainer on a regular basis? I always thought the chain and cassette wear together so if you need a new cassette or chain you replace both at the same time. Am I mistaken? Spare wheel sounds like a good option for turbo. I'm on rollers at the mo so not an issue, but this was one of the concerns I had about going to a turbo - now looking again because of zwift and other software improvement options

Top Bottom