Its hard not to smile getting down the road with one of these has anyone else got one or similar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeymustard

Veteran
great article.
On a slight offshoot from limiting 16yr olds to 30mph, moving onto the slightly bigger boys, I was working in motorbike finance when the 100mph yamaha rd250 came out, single-handedly prompting the govt to limit learners to 125cc and 12hp :eek:

OP
OP
BSAMase

BSAMase

The other bsa board track
20180811_141850.jpg
20180823_162702.jpg
20180909_145825.jpg
20180909_145835.jpg
project is full steam ahead

mikeymustard

Veteran
They were no faster than the Suzuki T20 (Super Six) of 1965 though
1965? I had a pal with a BSA C15 from '65 and it would've shaken itself to bits at 70mph! No wonder jap bikes destroyed the domestic industry!
There was another suzi - X7 was it? - that had a claimed 100 top speed, but the RD was the catalyst for the law change, perhaps the big thing made about it being a road-adapted racer maybe?

OP
OP
BSAMase

BSAMase

Slowly moving forward with the build got the new tank whick should suit more

Firestorm

Veteran
1965? I had a pal with a BSA C15 from '65 and it would've shaken itself to bits at 70mph! No wonder jap bikes destroyed the domestic industry!
There was another suzi - X7 was it? - that had a claimed 100 top speed, but the RD was the catalyst for the law change, perhaps the big thing made about it being a road-adapted racer maybe?
Iirc the X7 was the first to get 100 mph on all the magazine road tests and that started the ball rolling.
I think it was the LC version of the RD which hurried the law change along ...
Earlier RDs had got steadily quicker, but the changes were cosmetic (coffin tank) followed by disc brakes DX and then electronic ignition DXE.
Then water cooling allowed for engine development

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Iirc the X7 was the first to get 100 mph on all the magazine road tests and that started the ball rolling.
I think it was the LC version of the RD which hurried the law change along ...
Earlier RDs had got steadily quicker, but the changes were cosmetic (coffin tank) followed by disc brakes DX and then electronic ignition DXE.
Then water cooling allowed for engine development

IIRC the RD LC was oil cooled .

Firestorm

Veteran
IIRC the RD LC was oil cooled .
Didn’t know that ( obviously....). Only ever had the old air cooled ones, just assumed it was like the old car rads, and the old Gt 750.
Remember Suzuki’s attempt to make air cooling more efficient ? That fiddly Ram Air system. Added hours to a spark plug change , which were frequent on my GT 125, when you dropped a screw and lost it in the cylinder fins !

mikeymustard

Veteran
Lol gt750 handled like a bread van. We called my friend's the f.big scooter cos it felt like a lambretta. One night the two of us rode back from a pub that was down a windy country lane. We were going as fast as we could yet our other friend kept up with us in a 850 mini :smile:

ORO

I owned a aircoolered RD125 and 250 bitd, I think the 125 was faster than your friends C15.

Top Bottom