It's kinda like, so awesome, y'know...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carwash

Señor Member
Because they speak their language?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
It's essentially Americanisation. Language is a mirror of culture and the language in question is probably a fairly accurate mirror of the unbelievable richness and sophistication of American youf culcha.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Andy in Sig said:
It's essentially Americanisation. Language is a mirror of culture and the language in question is probably a fairly accurate mirror of the unbelievable richness and sophistication of American youf culcha.

Now that's VERY reassuring that is :sad:

Milo

Guru
particular (yout) words i hate lush, safe, like and many more.
i recently moved to wiltshire and all the kids in the college i go to dont have an accent i feel ripped off, also chavs have an odd mock cockny which is slightly endearing.

Melvil

I can't stand yoofs wot have bin 2 pryvit school an stil feel the need 2 spik lik dis innit - chuck em in da ring, I say, let em walk de walk if day talk de talk!

Erm...

You know what I mean. I don't know where the fashion of 'it's cool to sound really really dense' has come from, but it seems a bit sad.

Abitrary

Watching one of the latest installments in that 7 up program, the one where they track people throughout their lives, something that struct me was how articulate and demure kids were up until about the 1980s.

My dad reckons television done it. Bit ironic really.

yenrod

Abitrary said:
Watching one of the latest installments in that 7 up program, the one where they track people throughout their lives, something that struct me was how articulate and demure kids were up until about the 1980s.

My Dad says the same thing too !

Maybe we can ask Dads over 50yrs to make a judgement on this :biggrin:

Abitrary

yenrod said:
My Dad says the same thing too !

Maybe we can ask Dads over 50yrs to make a judgement on this :biggrin:

I kind of believe it myself... if you listen to kids before ITV came out, in the 1950s for example, even the yobs sound like they went to Eton!!!

stevenb

Americanisation is this countries downfall IMO.
Shame......it's the lack of brain power required to perfom a basic function such as communication that leads to the same being applied to other methods required in everyday life. :biggrin:

Noodley

Abitrary said:

not telly, thatcher.

Top Bottom