its like the blitz outside !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
well not quite but for last couple of hours we have been dive bombed by all sorts of historic planes that are taking part in the sywell air display up at sywell airdrome .

i almost started converting garage to a shelter , but to busy decorating still

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Decorating when there is a free airshow on, get your priorities right.:headshake:

TVC

Bugger, I didn't know they did one there. We went down to the 'Music in Flight' thing a couple of years ago - before they moved it to the Home Counties.

gbb

Legendary Member
Another year i havnt made it to an airshow :sad:
On another level, took the grandkids to Ramsey 1940s weekend for a few hours, just a small show with loads of WW2 displays and mock weaponry/soldiers, a couple of tanks, loads of folk walking round in period dress, vintage cars etc etc
See everyone jump out of their skins when they fired off a couple of rounds from a light tank, christ, they do go bang...along with the bark of (i assume) the german heavy machine guns. That got me thinking....imagine the din and madness if you had a full scale battle going on around you...insanity, the noise must have been beyond belief.

TVC

Another year i havnt made it to an airshow :sad:

Put Waddington in your diary for next year, it's usually the first weekend in July, only beaten by RAIT at Fairford and that's too big and a pain to get in and out of.

One of my jobs used to be to organise the medical cover for an airshow.

One year we spent a lot of time coordinating announcements that could be used without panicking the public.

For instance DownBird One was an aircraft down off site with no casualties
This then scaled up to an aircraft down on site with significant civilian casualties.

We circulated these, used them during exercises and all was well.

Then two weeks before the event the souvenir brochure was published and on one page was a section entitled @Emergency call signs you may need to be aware of ......... listing all the call signs.

Too late to change and we were not amused!

Herr-B

There is nothing like the sound of a Spitfire, well maybe a couple of Tornado's on afterburn... Rhyl airshow was a few weeks back.
For shear noise in the UK you can't beat a VC10, banned from night flights at so many of the world's airports. Above that the howl of a Vulcan is very emotive. Without a doubt the loudest aircraft I've heard are B-1Bs - my daily 06:20 alarm call at Thumrait in Oman as they headed of to pound Tora Bora.

I'm now getting old though and the sound of a Merlin engine attached to anything is fantastic.

From dog and bone, using Tapatalk2.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Merlin engines are just beautiful to listen to. Bit like an old Scooby boxer engine !

2PedalsTez

Über Member
I always remember the Vulcan at airshows as a kid. It'd scare the s**t out of me.

I was sat in my garden yesterday when a Lancaster flew very low overhead.. what a sight and the sound was amazing!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Merlin engines are just beautiful to listen to. Bit like an old Scooby boxer engine !

Some people keep them as pets.

I knew someone who had the crankcase of one stashed in his cellar with the ambition to acquire the rest of the bits to end up with a running engine.

Top Bottom