It's Now or Never......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Campag980

Regular
Joined up a couple of weeks ago, so about time I introduced myself.....

Cycling was probably my first love.

Like alot of schoolboys in York I cycled to school but whereas - for most - the neglected Raleigh Arenas and Falcon Black Diamonds were most likely just transport, I had DIY swapped the cheapo. Steel/plastic Simplex derailleurs for Suntour on my Puch by 13 and upgraded to a 531 framed Raleigh Rapide by 14 (with a campag980 :smile: ).

(There was nothing wrong with the Simplex kit, they were just common on cheap racers and therefore uncool. The alloy bodied Suntour VX was waaay cooler).

Can't really complain about growing up in York from a cycling perspective - If it's good enough for. TDF stage ...

....and still in my youth I did sometimes get further afield e g. Harrogate , Helmsley both about 25 miles away, so not bad going when you're in jeans and trainers :laugh:

Then at 17 I got a motorcycle and didn't pedal anywhere for 5 years (when I became a skint student, so had to cut my cloth accordingly).

And so the pattern of my life was set, my inherent liking of cycling generally coming a distant second when up against my motorcycle addiction......

Now at 54 (and about 27 motorcycles later) it feels like the tea - leaves/ planets etc. might have aligned and it could just be cycling that is back in ascendance (just have to get out and do some really, would have been out at the weekend were it not for the god awful weather.....)

A key reason for the change is my new job (just coming up to 2 years) where I'm doing anything up to 1500 miles a week in an HGV. Glad to say I really enjoy it on the whole, but it doesn't generally make me long for any of my own motorised transport come the weekend ......

So as for getting down to some cycling, I think there should be something here that suits.......

In order of most likely to get used:

Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 - just purchased as per thread I've already posted

GT Legato 4 - my main bike for last 16 years

Van Nicholas Mistral - beautiful to ride (as I recall :rolleyes: )

Circa 1980 Peugeot PKN10 - Lockdown eBay purchase, loved these classic Peugeots when I was about 11 !

1991 GT Karakorum - Lockdown purchase 2 - needs a new home really.

(Also kicking about the place my Raleigh Rapide in bits and a Viking Tandem)

IMG_20230725_204920390.jpg

IMG_20230725_204544826_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230725_204738871.jpg

IMG_20230725_205217747.jpg

IMG_20230725_205528121.jpg

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
:welcome:

OP
OP
Campag980

Campag980

Regular
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

:welcome: and a fine selection of bicycles ~ you just need 1 more........ ^_^.

I thought it was quite a decent selection, until looking back through the photos I realised there was nothing with Di2, a Carbon frame or full suspension :eek:

Although joking aside - I'm not especially bothered about that. Maybe a recumbent would be interesting though......

Windle

Über Member
I was just referring to the legendary N+1 excuse :laugh:. Although now you mention a recumbent..... I've always been a bit 'recumbent curious' and did actually ride a couple of trike versions many years back at some kind of recumbent event at Hetton Lyons Park near Sunderland. The only problem I have is the space for one, or rather the space currently being used for other stuff, (thinks).........

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Welcome from another VN rider.

OP
OP
Campag980

Campag980

Regular
I was just referring to the legendary N+1 excuse :laugh:. Although now you mention a recumbent..... I've always been a bit 'recumbent curious' and did actually ride a couple of trike versions many years back at some kind of recumbent event at Hetton Lyons Park near Sunderland. The only problem I have is the space for one, or rather the space currently being used for other stuff, (thinks).........

Yes, have come across (and been entertained by) the N+1 philosophy before, happily for the time being I think I'm closer to N-1 (my GT Karakoram needs to go) .

Although as I start racking up some miles again , I suppose that could change....

Thinking about it some more, a recumbent might be something to look into when I retire perhaps (probably circa 2040). I can see a test ride or two would be a very good idea !

I see you have your age and location added - was wondering how to do that myself.....

Windle

Über Member
Yes, have come across (and been entertained by) the N+1 philosophy before, happily for the time being I think I'm closer to N-1 (my GT Karakoram needs to go) .

Although as I start racking up some miles again , I suppose that could change....

Thinking about it some more, a recumbent might be something to look into when I retire perhaps (probably circa 2040). I can see a test ride or two would be a very good idea !

I see you have your age and location added - was wondering how to do that myself.....

Click on your profile banner and go into account details then complete the boxes, I'm pretty sure that's what I did ~ someone who's been here longer may correct me if I'm wrong.

Top Bottom