It's started.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
You mean capitalism is the issue. I won't disagree with you on that.
Indeed... or perhaps more correctly the unsustainable, manipulative, debt-fuelled and environmentally destructive extreme vision of capitalism that's "evolved" in the post-war western world.

In principle I have no problem with most facets of capitalism if its implementation is sensible, responsible and fair. Sadly just like everyhing else it's been pushed to a model of maximum profit to the detriment of all involved other than the manufactuers and money lenders :sad:

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Indeed... or perhaps more correctly the unsustainable, manipulative, debt-fuelled and environtally destructive extreme vision of capitalism that's "evolved" in the post-war western world.

In principle I have no problem with most facets of capitalism ifs implementation is sensible, responsible and fair. Sadly just like everyhing else it's been pushed to a model of maximum profit to the detriment of all involved other than the manufactuers and money lenders :sad:

Agreed. We better stop at this point but there is nothing inherently wrong with capitalism though there is much wrong with the way "we" as a society have allowed it to evolve.

Anyway, back to bikes. There is definitely a need for different bikes for different purposes. I don't need can't justify another bike for some years. My recently upgraded Cervelo meets all my fine weather riding needs and my Kinesis is a great gravel/winter/touring bike.

Barring unforseen circumstances my next purchase will probably be an e-bike. I hope this is at least 4/5 years away. I upgraded the Cervelo in '22 with the specific intention of getting another five years from her. The Kinesis is titanium so may outlive me!

I don't have an issue with spending ££££ on a bike if it fulfills one's needs/wishes. This has always been my approach, I want to achieve xyz, which bike will help me do this? When I do invest in a bike it's always been expensive but I feel justifiable. My Cervelo, now six years old, was £3k, I expect another four years from her. The Kinesis is three years old and I don't forsee a need to replace it in the future. If I compare that with my wife's gym membership at £1000pa it's good value. This not a snipe at her gym membership as calculated on an hourly rate she gets great value. I'm just putting perspective on bike costs.

What I don't understand is people who buy bikes and then discover they've purchased the wrong bike............probably because Chris Froome rides one.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Agree with @wafter so many people splash out on a bike for this and a bike for that it seems before eventually realising one quality cycle for daily use does most things unless you are an athlete of some kind.

There is a joy to be had in owning different types of bikes. Over 40 years I have a fleet of 11 bikes, of which the Rourke and the Bromptons are most used. The others are fixed wheels, vintage, old small wheeled shopping bikes, posties bike etc. All fun to ride. If somebody asks me to do the L2B, I'll take the granny shopper for the fun of it.
All are loved 😍

Alex321

Veteran
Agree with @wafter so many people splash out on a bike for this and a bike for that it seems before eventually realising one quality cycle for daily use does most things unless you are an athlete of some kind.

The "most" is the important factor there.

If you enjoy a mixture of road riding and off-road riding, then a bike which is decent for the off-road stuff is unlikely to be nearly as good to ride on-road as a bike designed for that.

If a large majority of your riding is one or the other, then yes, one good bike should be all you need.

Jameshow

Veteran
Doing a fast century on a touring bike is hard work whilst touring on carbon bike isn't going to work either, both on tarmac, not to mention mudguards etc. With one bike and it's off the road for say a BB replacement then you bikeless at least with several you have a spare. Even more important if commuting!

Alex321

Veteran
Doing a fast century on a touring bike is hard work whilst touring on carbon bike isn't going to work either, both on tarmac, not to mention mudguards etc. With one bike and it's off the road for say a BB replacement then you bikeless at least with several you have a spare. Even more important if commuting!

Yes, I have two bikes, having kept my hybrid as a spare when I upgraded to a decent road bike. I hardly go off road at all, but if I do fancy heading off down the local forest gravel trails, I would probably take the hybrid.

And having just bought a turbo trainer, it is handy to be able to hook up the spare bike to that, rather than having to faff around taking off/putting on the wheel each time I want to switch between indoor and real riding.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A certain retailer famed for doing bikes as a sideline to motor parts reported a 20% decrease in sales , then you have specilaized looking for an extension to pay their suppliers .

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Did LEJOG on my normal carbon road bike. Bikepacking gear has transformed what can handle a multi day tour

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A certain retailer famed for doing bikes as a sideline to motor parts reported a 20% decrease in sales , then you have specilaized looking for an extension to pay their suppliers .

Wow; that's interesting about Specilized - another massive industry player to take this route behind Giant recently. Against a grim backdrop bike manufacturers seem to have it especially hard; which is unsurprising considering the circumstances.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I was a little intrigued and decided to check out the prices here in Germany where Canyon are based. The first bike mentioned, the Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 7 eTap, retails at €4999 here in Germany. At todays exchange rate that's £4399, so £400 cheaper than it now retails in Britain. The Grail is also a similar story with it's new price still being £435 pounds dearer than we get it in Germany.

I experienced this in reverse this summer after purchasing a bike from Sonder in the UK, I paid an extra £200 over UK prices, I presume to cover import duties tax etc.

Top Bottom