It's that time of the year when...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

[smug cyclist mode]
...you're up on the bike and away in a matter of seconds...
...whereas all the neighbours are muttering, and shivering, wielding ice scraper, bucket, and spray can, before they can even get into their chosen means of transport... :rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin:
So uplifting to call out a cheery "good morning" as you whisk past.
Doesn't it just feel good, in spite of the season?
[/end of smug mode]

Panter

Just call me Chris...
It sure did :biggrin:

Untill I had to stop 10 miles down the road and scrape the ice off my eyeballs :rolleyes:

That was parky this morning :rolleyes:

Tetedelacourse

Feckin schmeckin greckin...

Had to get the train today as am waiting on new inner tubes arriving. My train delayed by 20 mins, and then when it arrived they'd decided to scrap my stop as it was running late, so had to wait another 15 mins at next station. Freezing from head to toe. Got to the office at same time as a guy who cycles. He was boiling.

Can't wait for these damn tubes to arrive.

papercorn2000

Ooh yes! Made the mistake of leaving off the overshoes! If anyone had stepped on my toes, I swear that they would have snapped off!

Bigtallfatbloke

It took me much longer to do my loop this morning than normal. I blame it on the cold easterly wind. The problem I have is that i live in a dip and the weather outside th efront door rarely reflects the reality of the weather out on the roads, so this morning I was half tempted to wear shorts when I saw the sunshine...lucky I didnt.

I am sure my neighbours thinks I am a nutter, dressed as I do and always on the bike.

ChrisW

Full kit.....

From balaclava, through heated gloves, to big shimano winter boots. And enough layers to make the Michelin Man look like Kate Moss.

Not smug, just trying to stay warm at 6.30 a.m.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Last night, whilst getting ready to cycle home, I was getting changed into my cycling togs which normally doesn't get a mention. Until i put my overshoes on. This seemed to have an effect on my collegues. I don't really know why. They asked me if i had a aero helmet to go with my go faster shoes? I tried in vain to explain that they were to keep my feet warm and dry, it was drizzling at the time, but the harm was done. Never mind they will get used to it.

bonj2

Pete said:
[smug cyclist mode]
...whereas all the neighbours are muttering, and shivering, wielding ice scraper, bucket, and spray can, before they can even get into their chosen means of transport... :evil::biggrin::biggrin:
[/end of smug mode]

smugness only valid if your neighbours haven't got covered parking. but I do empathise.

OP
OP
P

Pete

bonj said:
smugness only valid if your neighbours haven't got covered parking. but I do empathise.
For the record, every household in our middle-class leafy suburban (well, more like leafy semi-rural) street has covered parking in the shape of a garage. Trouble is, no-one appears to use theirs for the car (except ourselves - and even then I often leave the car out when the garage is chocka with bikes). No: the neighbours have just about everything else in the garage, from MTBs (occasionally used), golf clubs, gym equipment, half-assembled IKEA, the works. Of course many neighbours have two or more cars, the larger more ostentatious one will of course be the one parked out on the drive, and the one that needs to be driven first in the morning.

Funny thing, I hadn't expected this to turn into a cyclists-keeping-warm-tips sort of thread, but that's how it seems to have panned out. It wasn't particularly cold this morning round here, didn't have to don winter woollies, but enough for a thin coating of rime on the windscreens...

I've been commuting to mid-afternoon/late night shifts. Only had to take a base layer in a pocket to don under shirt and gilet for trip home. It's been lovely and crisp and clear - and you can write someone else's initials in the frost on windscreens just as it's forming...

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Had to layer up this morning but once I got to work I was lovely and warm and spent the rest of the shift in my uniform short sleeved shirt and getting weird looks from my colleagues.

Abitrary

Pete said:
[smug cyclist mode]
...whereas all the neighbours are muttering, and shivering, wielding ice scraper, bucket, and spray can, before they can even get into their chosen means of transport... :evil::biggrin::biggrin:
[/end of smug mode]

Yeah, right, but you can only find one glove.

To wear or not to wear

Top Bottom