It's the Aberdeen Advice Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D-Rider said:
I have to say that all youse aberdonians have kept very quiet about the sub-tropical climate. It's been gorgeous since I got here!
I think statistically the NE gets the most sunshine in Scotland (which probably ain't much 25 mins instead of 5 :wacko:) Joking aside I think they said someplace in Aberdenshire were the hottest in Scotland today (5deg, sorry I couldn't resist :smile:).

derall

Guru
HLaB said:
I think statistically the NE gets the most sunshine in Scotland (which probably ain't much 25 mins instead of 5

That's just Lossiemouth, (which is why the RAF put an airbase up there). Rest of the North East is just as bad as the rest of Scotland. God, I remember those Haars. Temperature plummetted (if it was possible for it to plummet any further) when those rolled in. :wacko:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
D-Rider said:
Nah - that's only in Edinburgh. This is going to be Aberdeen's best summer on record! :blush:

derall said:
That's just Lossiemouth, (which is why the RAF put an airbase up there). Rest of the North East is just as bad as the rest of Scotland. God, I remember those Haars. Temperature plummetted (if it was possible for it to plummet any further) when those rolled in. :tongue:

The haar in Aberdeen is worse than Edinburgh, but it seldom gets as far inland as Peterculter... which is fine if you can escape up the Dee...:tongue:

OP
OP
D-Rider

D-Rider

Hairy Jock said:
The haar in Aberdeen is worse than Edinburgh, but it seldom gets as far inland as Peterculter... which is fine if you can escape up the Dee...:tongue:

< Imagines self cycling furiously alongside river with spooky fog close behind and catching up..... :blush: >

the_c00ler_king

As someone who actually sleeps, lives and breathes in Aberdeen at the moment I felt that it may be of some use to get my perspective (even though its my first post).

Aberdeen is a nice walkable city. Of course there are some dodgy areas as others have mentioned (Torry, though its going under a slow regeneration, Northfield, Sandilands etc) but all cities have that. There are many green areas throughout town, and the benefit of living this far north means that not only do we get a fantastic light quality all year round, but the residents all spill out and use the pars whenever there is the slightest hint of sun.

The beach is easy to reach to by walking. Its about 15 minutes out of town, or a 5 minute bus ride. There are fantastic clean sands for lounging around or surfing should the weather permit. Aslo the promenade is always full of people walking or cycling.

Aberdeen is quite an expensive place to live due to the oil based economy, so rent/sale prices are more stable than elsewhere. The west end is a great place to stay, but due to size of Aberdeen most decent places are relatively easy to get too thanks to the monopoly that First Transport have on communications. Try ASPC (search online) for the main leasing agency.

As for pubs and restaurants there are too many to mention all of them, but here are my personal favourites:

Under the Hammer - local feel pub with brilliant ales
The Grill - completley authentic whisky bar
Cafe 52 - best food in town (contemporary Scottish)
Cinnammon - amazing Indian which wins numerous awards
Yaitai - the best Japanese restaurant I have experienced

Hope that give you a brief insight. If you have any specific questions then I am more than happy to help.

Bill.

OP
OP
D-Rider

D-Rider

Hey Bill - thanks for that.

I also sleep in Aberdeen these days - in a hotel at the moment but have got a flat sorted and should move in soon.

I've been in the grill on a previous visit and liked it - doesn't look much from the front but nice once you're in, IIRC. I'm definitely going to check out Cafe 52 and Cinnammon on your recommendation.

Top Bottom