It's the Aberdeen Advice Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member

OP
OP
D-Rider

D-Rider

Hi HJ, I didn't realise you'd replied to this when we met yesterday - sorry for making you go over it again! :biggrin:

Hairy Jock said:
The Beach is difficult to walk to, you are only supposed to drive in Aberdeen! If you want a beach the go to Balmedie and walk through the dunes, before Trump puts them down to concrete...

So my hope that I'd be able to get a flat from which I could walk to the beach in a wetsuit, carrying a surfboard is going to be chalked down to wishful thinking!

Hairy Jock said:
If you do go walking down by the harbour, to go to the Vue for instance, or Drifters or such like, and a young lady asks you if you would like to do a "little business" well, just don't tell Mrs D-R, no not really, just start walking really fast...

As you probably now realise that shouldn't be an issue! Mind you, in my standard issue jeans and baggy jumper I am a bit butch looking....

OP
OP
D-Rider

D-Rider

mercurykev said:
I'm from Aberdeen and feel that you need a real local perspective.

For a pint you can't go wrong with the Belmont Bar in Belmont Street. It's central, it's reasonably priced and the regulars are the salt of the earth.

If you're into nightclubs, why not try the Hotel Metro on Market Street on a Friday or Saturday. A welcoming mix of onshore riggers, seamen and available BBW. Actually, it's probably the only place in Scotland where you can easily pull a mother and daughter combination (which would also give you the opportunity to visit Tillydrone, Torry or Middlefield).

If you're interested in entertainment that doesn't involve alcohol, take your car down to the Beach Boulevard (known as the Bullie to locals). You can spend the evening drag racing souped up Corsas along a 1/4 mile strip. This activity would also give you the opportunity to hook up with the younger daughters of the ladies who frequent the Hotel Metro.

Aberdeen fun would not be the same without ending the evening by heading up to Chapel Street and queing outside a 24h baker to buy some pies and rowies. It is such an experiance that the council has had to employ wardens to control the queues: Aberdonians love a pie.

You're not really selling it, mercurykev! :biggrin: Will probably check out the Belmont bar at some point though - cheers!

D-Rider said:
So my hope that I'd be able to get a flat from which I could walk to the beach in a wetsuit, carrying a surfboard is going to be chalked down to wishful thinking!

In Aberdeen? In fact surfing in the North Sea at all. Brrrrrr. :sad: Hardcore surfer / lunatic.
I dinghy sail, not surf but reckon its only the real hardcore that surf off a North sea beach. You don't have to be very dedicated to do it in nice warm tropical water somewhere.

OP
OP
D-Rider

D-Rider

I surf all year round in the North Sea off east lothian. It's only cold getting changed afterwards (hence the flat walking distance from the beach concept!)

mercurykev

D-Rider said:
You're not really selling it, mercurykev! :biggrin: Will probably check out the Belmont bar at some point though - cheers!

Well, there is a reason I live in Edinburgh now :biggrin: Actually, Edinburgh and Aberdeen are quite similar cities; however, Aberdeen has far superior cycling on its doorstep. You can do a lovely Deeside - Donside loop.

By the way, I was joking about the Belmont bar. It's where the dodgy dealers and drunks hang out. You could say it has local colour.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Possibilities for a 2 wheel trailer to take the board, which is attached to the back of the bike ?

OP
OP
D-Rider

D-Rider

mercurykev said:
By the way, I was joking about the Belmont bar. It's where the dodgy dealers and drunks hang out. You could say it has local colour.

Yes, I chanced upon it this evening! ;) Strangely, I wasn't prepared to risk it on my own on the recommendation of someone off the internet! :blush: Looks well dodgy.

OP
OP
D-Rider

D-Rider

scoosh said:
Possibilities for a 2 wheel trailer to take the board, which is attached to the back of the bike ?

carver_rack_surf.jpg

How about this! :blush:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
D-Rider said:
carver_rack_surf.jpg

How about this! :biggrin:

You should have brought one of those along on Sunday, for wind assisted hill climbing...

If you really want to live next to the sea there is always Footdee (or Fittie to the locals), the only problem is that it is right next to the harbour. It is the old fishing village and very quaint, cottages are small (and cramped, which is why I didn't rent one when I was there) but must have a net hut with them for extra storage.

The other solution would be to live in Stonehaven and commute (train and bike), just watch out for the fireballs at Hogmanay...

I have been known to frequent the Fittie Bar from time to time. The area is quite industrial, lots of shipping / oil industry activity.
Not as many working girls in the area now since the tolerance zone was removed, they seem to have moved further toward the city centre.
Not exactly selling it am I?

OP
OP
D-Rider

D-Rider

I have to say that all youse aberdonians have kept very quiet about the sub-tropical climate. It's been gorgeous since I got here!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
D-Rider said:
I have to say that all youse aberdonians have kept very quiet about the sub-tropical climate. It's been gorgeous since I got here!

That is an invitation to the haar....:wacko:

Top Bottom