It's the inconsistency that annoys me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
Be careful,I once drove a renault home (not my car) without a windscreen,it was all going OK until i went to turn right,what was the indicator on my car was the windscreen wipers on the renault!!! one large windscreen wiper swung into the car and hit me in the face!! out of control i mounted the pavement and took out a road sign frantically trying to stop the beating i was getting from the wipers!!!!

Panter

Just call me Chris...
:ohmy:

I drove a Fiat Strada for a couple of days (my first ever car) with no windscreen after a break.

It was only a couple of days too as it was mid winter.

Christ, I was cold on the M20 to and fro work especially as I had all the other windows wound down as I was worried about the air pressure blowing the other windows out :smile: :biggrin:

Beardie

I was just about to ask why not just get the new panel welded in. While you're waiting for your friend, buy the new panel anyway, then place it (with screen) over the old one and fix it in place with cable ties. Sorted!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
A word of warning from an engineer friend: apparently the windscreen provides a lot of structural strength, so doing many miles without it will put stresses on the frame that it's not designed to take.

He says it will also have significantly lower rollover protection, but I think you'd have to work very hard indeed to roll a 2CV!

gary r said:
Be careful,I once drove a renault home (not my car) without a windscreen,it was all going OK until i went to turn right,what was the indicator on my car was the windscreen wipers on the renault!!! one large windscreen wiper swung into the car and hit me in the face!! out of control i mounted the pavement and took out a road sign frantically trying to stop the beating i was getting from the wipers!!!!

:smile: First thing I did was remove the wipers and wiper motor.

Ben Lovejoy said:
A word of warning from an engineer friend: apparently the windscreen provides a lot of structural strength, so doing many miles without it will put stresses on the frame that it's not designed to take.

I can well believe it. Both this one and one I lost to a flying stone a few years ago went with one hell of a bang, far in excess of any noise made by the initial impact. It's only temporary, and (all being well) I should be working somewhere with showers and lockers next week so I'll be cycling again.:smile:

tyred

Legendary Member
Ben Lovejoy said:

He says it will also have significantly lower rollover protection, but I think you'd have to work very hard indeed to roll a 2CV!

Does the 2CV not have a seperate chassis?

In a modern car, the screen certainly provides support for the main structure. The 2CV and other cars designed prior to the 1970s weren't fitted with laminated windscreens so using it a stressed member would shatter a toughened glass screen.

GilesM

Legendary Member
That's really cool, let us know if you do get pulled over by Mr Plod, hopefully there is nothing illegal in what you are doing, but I'd love to know what they say. Definately need an action pic with the goggles.

A few years ago I was camping in the North of Scotland with a big group of Lotus Elises and Caterham/Westfield Sevens, two of the sevens were parked next to each other, both were completely open with no screens, and they had very un PC writing on the back, one was "Roofs are for Poofs" (remember these are Scotts) and the other one was "Screens are for Queens", made me chuckle.

gary r

Guru
renault produced a high powered 2 seater sports spider car about 10 years ago that didnt have a windscreen??i remember they had a race using these Renaults before the Monaco GP

Some years ago on Tomorrows world they had an emergency windscreen that was like a windscreen sized sheet of plastic with coat hanger thick wire bars in it running vertical. The ends seemed to wrap around the A pillar somehow.

shrew

get a motorcycle tax disc holder and bolt it on, get a biggles hat and goggles and leave it as it is imo, looks a fun ride.
as far as im aware its not illigal if there is no structural damage and no sticky-outy-bits that can injure passers by.

GilesM

Legendary Member
gary r said:
renault produced a high powered 2 seater sports spider car about 10 years ago that didnt have a windscreen??i remember they had a race using these Renaults before the Monaco GP

I remember these they looked really good, but were unfortunately (for Renault) released onto the market at the same time as the Lotus Elise, Renault sold very few, and production was stopped quite quickly.

GilesM

Legendary Member
There's a Caterham that doesn't have a windscreen, just a little deflector on top of the bonnet.

A few years ago I saw two blokes in one of these, in the summer, in ski hats an goggles. Their heads destroyed any credibility the car may have had.

Not sure about ski hats and goggles, a full face helmet is needed for this thing, the thought of getting a pheasant in the head while out on your travels is a wee bit frightening.

http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/full_screen_v2.html

Top Bottom