ITU World Triathlon - Mexico

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Chapeau!! indeed, to one of our members

Mark Mills, of Ackworth Road-Runners, Wakefield Triathlon Club, & Featherstone Road Club (for bike) competed here

(Ackworth, & Featherstone, are my clubs too)

http://wts.triathlon.org/results/result/2016_itu_world_triathlon_grand _final_cozumel/305974

He was in the 30-34 'Sprint Distance' event
Which is;
750 m swim
20 km (12 mile) bike
5K (3.1 mile) run

And took 11th overall

4th fastest on the run, out of 68 finishers
I knew he was a quick lad, but this!!!!

Stephenite

Membå
Dramatic finish to the standard/olympic distance race. Coming in to the last race race of the series Johnny Brownlee needed to come first, and series leader Mario Mola would have to come fourth or lower, for Johnny to win the series. The Brownlee brothers put the pressure on right from the start, and it was looking like a great win for Johnny up until 500m to go. The heat took it's toll and he bonked big style. Legs turned to jelly and he was all over the road. As Schoeman overtook him, brother Alistair caught up and supported Johnny the last few hundred metres and pushed him over the line. Mola came in fifth place on the day to score enough points to win the series.

I've spoiled it for you now, but here's the highlights, and another video showing more of Johnnys jelly legs.

View: https://youtu.be/5Awns29sZEs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DheRqd6bJYw

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
surely being held up, albeit briefly, by a non-competitor until your brother arrives is outside assistance and instant disqualification?

Stephenite

Membå
surely being held up, albeit briefly, by a non-competitor until your brother arrives is outside assistance and instant disqualification?
I don't know.

The guy in blue was eager to help but could of got Johnny disqualified, I suppose. Regarding outside help - a competitor is not allowed to take drink/food from a spectator or supporter, but can take these things from a race assistant/volunteer. Maybe a competitor can briefly hold onto a race assistant. This is allowed in the swimming legs of the two sprint tris I took part in. It would have been very mean to penalise Johnny there as he, as least as far as I could tell, didn't ask for help, nor could he do much about it when it came, and there was very little help given as Alistair was there almost straightaway and pulled him away from the drink station.

What I couldn't get over is that even though one was completely shagged out and the other supporting the brothers were still very light and nimble. I don't run quite like that.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I don't know.

The guy in blue was eager to help but could of got Johnny disqualified, I suppose. Regarding outside help - a competitor is not allowed to take drink/food from a spectator or supporter, but can take these things from a race assistant/volunteer. Maybe a competitor can briefly hold onto a race assistant. This is allowed in the swimming legs of the two sprint tris I took part in. It would have been very mean to penalise Johnny there as he, as least as far as I could tell, didn't ask for help, nor could he do much about it when it came, and there was very little help given as Alistair was there almost straightaway and pulled him away from the drink station.

What I couldn't get over is that even though one was completely shagged out and the other supporting the brothers were still very light and nimble. I don't run quite like that.
Didn't think "accompanying" was allowed on the running leg either.

Stephenite

Membå
It's been several weeks since I read the rules. But as far as I can remember you are required to help a fellow competitor in distress. It would be interesting to hear the judges take on it.

screenman

Legendary Member
The Spanish Triathlon Federation was unsurprisingly not impressed, and appealed for him to be disqualified.

But their appeal was rejected because the International Triathlon Union ruled that "athletes can get help from other athletes."

Stephenite

Membå
The Spanish Triathlon Federation was unsurprisingly not impressed, and appealed for him to be disqualified.

But their appeal was rejected because the International Triathlon Union ruled that "athletes can get help from other athletes."
What are you not happy with exactly? No rules were broken.

bathtub

This from the ITU rules
General Conduct
(viii) Compete without receiving assistance other than from event personnel and officials;
I would say that as the volunteer at the drinks station who helped JB stand upright was on the field of play he would be classed as event personnel. So IMO all OK
There is no mention in the wording in (viii) of receiving assistance from another athlete, but there is here :-
Penalties and Violations
. Accepting assistance from anyone other than a Technical Official, race official or other athlete
- If it is possible to amend and return to the original situation Stop and go
- If not: DSQ
So again IMO all OK

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Was the large man in blue another athlete?

Top Bottom