ITV 4 versus Eurosport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Or free. In German.
I watched a bit of the Vuelta in German (I was in Germany at the time). My German is not good enough to understand talking heads on TV, but I understood the cycling commentary perfectly.

Translated it went: witter witter witter <rider name> witter witter witter witter <rider name> etc.

Reactions: mjr

johnblack

Über Member
I tend to watch Eurosport as they have the best overall coverage, if they both cover a live race and I'm at home, I'll flick from Eurosport to ITV4 as their commercial breaks are not in sync so most of the time you can watch the racing with no breaks. I like the ex-pro's on Eurosport, Kelly, Smith, Stephens and Backstedt. I have an intense dislike for Rob Hatch. I have no feelings one way or another to the ITV blokes.

Adam4868

Guru
I tend to watch Eurosport as they have the best overall coverage, if they both cover a live race and I'm at home, I'll flick from Eurosport to ITV4 as their commercial breaks are not in sync so most of the time you can watch the racing with no breaks. I like the ex-pro's on Eurosport, Kelly, Smith, Stephens and Backstedt. I have an intense dislike for Rob Hatch. I have no feelings one way or another to the ITV blokes.
Your cold...what's Rob ever done to you...you remind me of Roglic !

johnblack

Über Member
Your cold...what's Rob ever done to you...you remind me of Roglic !
His overdone pronunciation of foreign languages really grates, trying to build excitement when it's blatantly obvious there is none and his full blown man love for Nibbles. Of all people on TV and radio he is second in my hate list, only surpassed by Many Ann Hobbs. I'm going to go and get a cup of tea now.

Adam4868

Guru
His overdone pronunciation of foreign languages really grates, trying to build excitement when it's blatantly obvious there is none and his full blown man love for Nibbles. Of all people on TV and radio he is second in my hate list, only surpassed by Many Ann Hobbs. I'm going to go and get a cup of tea now.
Hope it's herbal.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I watched a bit of the Vuelta in German (I was in Germany at the time). My German is not good enough to understand talking heads on TV, but I understood the cycling commentary perfectly.

Translated it went: witter witter witter <rider name> witter witter witter witter <rider name> etc.
:laugh: That's how Italian commentary on RAI Sport sounds to me, give or take the occasional word I recognise like dicesa!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
At least with itv 4 if like me you watch the highlights then when you record the programme you get it not tennis, golf or anything else but cycling .

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I watch ITV4 as Kirby cannot call a race to save his life. He provides very little in the way of insight and misses a lot of important action while he is wittering on. Kelly is better but is no match for Millar. From a commentator/analyst I want them to help me appreciate stuff in the race that I haven't already done so. Kirby and Kelly fail to do this miserably

An ideal situation would be Eurosport's images and ITV4's commentary

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

I watch ITV4 as Kirby cannot call a race to save his life. He provides very little in the way of insight and misses a lot of important action while he is wittering on. Kelly is better but is no match for Millar. From a commentator/analyst I want them to help me appreciate stuff in the race that I haven't already done so. Kirby and Kelly fail to do this miserably

An ideal situation would be Eurosport's images and ITV4's commentary

Pretty much agree. I feel that Millar is telling me more insightful content.

I’ve noticed that both sets of commentators miss blatantly obvious things (I’m there in my head screaming ‘comment on the old lady that just got hit on the head with the water bottle’ and they don’t mention it but...I concede that they have notes to read etc etc).

An ideal situation would be Eurosport's images and ITV4's commentary[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, Kirby is one of , if not the most irritating feckers on tv , rob hatch always sounds like hes trying too hard with pronounciation of foreign riders, and someone could spend ten minutes asking sean Kelly a question and get a one word answer, which I love when he does it to CK.

I think the boulting /millar combo works well, even though david millar has to correct ned when he gets riders names wrong.

I did enjoy the post race interviews and stuff on Eurosport , but ola just gets on my t!ts and I don't know why, I enjoy brian smiths contributions though

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Commentating on nothing happening and making it sound interesting is difficult.

That's part of the genius of the Test Match Special cricket commentators, compared to Kirby's stilted attempts to fill the long, fallow periods in a flat Grand Tour stage.

I think he does the job reasonably well, given how hard it is.

Millar is good, knowledgeable and able to convey some of the drama.

Adam4868

Guru
A ideal situation would be what we have now,if you don't like Eurosport/itv4 you have a choice.
As much as I like Millar he's too up his own arse for me,but there's no pleasing everyone.

Top Bottom