ITV4, TDF Greatest momments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"That looks like Roche. That looks like Stephen Roche!! IT IS STEPHEN ROCHE!!!"

Nuff said. I can still recall watching the 87 TDF with my Dad and being Roche fans we thought he had lost it.

And then...and then...

"Who's that rider?"

You could scarcely believe it.

And remember the drama didn't end there. We didn't even know that he would be able to compete in the time trial let alone gain enough time to reclaim the yellow jersey.

Gives me goose bumps just writing about it.

Losidan

The Roche moment for me is #1 always...Good programme apart from the Lance Armstrong Yawn fest

girofan

Caught up with this programme, repeated on Sunday evening. There is lots of archive film of the TdF, why was non of it shown? The disclaimer at the start that they could not show the Tour pre-television does not hold water. This was a lazily put together programme on the back of this year's Tour coverage.
What no Simpson!!!!!!!!!!!!

No it wasn't "a lazily put together programme on the back of this year's Tour coverage."

It was a cheaply put-together program on the back of a DVD called something like 'Golden moments of the Tour' which they released for the 2003 centenary.
All the filmclips were in there, so just pull them out of the video archive, splice-in some new continuity bits, and bingo ! A new 1hr program for minimal cost.

Rob S

andy_wrx said:
I'm also puzzled by the definition of 'greatest moment'
- what, the death of a rider, a big drugs bust provoking riders sit-down strike and half the teams going home ?
- these are 'greatest moments' ?

Greatest means biggest, most memorable so yes all the above can be in the 20 greatest.

My two picks before the show were....'it looks like Stephen Roche' and the 89 final stage being the best.
As Mr Imlach said regarding the first one...'some moments are born great and some have great commentary shouted over the top of them' and that is true of this one as the main reason it was so memorable is because there was no camera on Roche up the hill and Liggett didn't have any time gaps.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I really enjoyed it. Being new to the tour, the husband and I found it really interesting to learn more about its history. Lance, like him or hate him (and wow, people seem to hate him) made a lot of tour history so it made sense he'd be on it, didn't it? Particularly liked the field cycling moment.

We just loved how it ended on Cav at the end of the credits...but we're easy to please.

Losidan

maybe they should of put ligget as one of the moments...he is superb...the roche bit...went abdu crashed on the champs elysee....awesome stuff

Rob S said:
Greatest means biggest, most memorable so yes all the above can be in the 20 greatest.

Greatest = biggest, maybe.
Most memorable, no.

No, that would be a program entitled '20 most memorable moments', except that doesn't have a jazzy ring to it, so '20 greatest moments' they called it.

Top Bottom