i've been overpaid £3048.56p!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
£3048.56p for the 4 days after Easter bank holiday Monday!!!! i wasnt at work those 4 days,as i'm contracting i shouldnt have been paid at all.& £3048.56 is a lot more than i should get for 4 days work!!!! do i keep quiet or be honest :thumbsup::biggrin: i dont really want to pay back £3K when someone realises a mistake has been made!!! Now about that new carbon road bike:biggrin:

Mark_Robson

Let your conscience be your guide. :thumbsup:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Best to give it back as it isn't yours, could turn out nasty for you if you don't and you'll have no defence if you get caught. Free carbon bikes are nice but it ain't worth it.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
There's no such thing as a free lunch so give it back before you get in the mire. Karma and all that.

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
i was honest the last time this happened,BT sent a work related refund cheque for £65,000 im my name!!!! when it should have been in the company name.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
overpaid?

while it would be dishonest to spend it, who ever paid u im sure would want u to look after it so put it in a high interest acount and the intrest is your for sevices render in the looking after said money? then when they want it back its resonable for them to wait the requierd notice time to getting the money back, as they unesscaseraliy (cant spell) burdend u with this money. now that sounds fair

steve52 said:
while it would be dishonest to spend it, who ever paid u im sure would want u to look after it so put it in a high interest acount and the intrest is your for sevices render in the looking after said money? then when they want it back its resonable for them to wait the requierd notice time to getting the money back, as they unesscaseraliy (cant spell) burdend u with this money. now that sounds fair

+1 although it would be worth mentioning it to them before they realise and contact you.It makes you look good.

When a colleague had her annual contract renewed she was pad then times her contracted amount. She told them straight away and agreed to bring a cheque in for the overpaid amount on her next working day. She was not in for nearly a week and started getting called at home chasing the the money. Once they work it out they'll want it back mighty quickly.

ACS

Legendary Member
Gary

Found this...........

It is a legal requirement to pay the money back - the criminal offence is to "retain a wrongful credit".

Theft Act 1968 S.24A Retaining a wrongful credit

Off the top of my head it is an offence to knowingly retain a wrongful credit and dishonestly fail to take steps to rectify the wrongful credit.

"It is 'wrongful' if it is the credit side of a money transfer obtained contrary to S15A (Theft Act 1968).

It is also 'wrongful' to the extent that it derives from:

a) theft;
:smile: an offence under S 15A (obtaining a money transfer by deception);
c) blackmail;
d) stolen goods".

By the definition of the law, it looks as if the meaning of 'wrongful' does not easily indicate on this occassion an error or miscalculation but in this case the proceeds of a criminal act.

For those scurrying around to look up the S15A ....

"A person is guilty of an offence if by any means he dishonestly obtains a money transfer for himself or another."

Is it dishonest, as he didn't ask for the money nor did he decieve anyone into doing anything that would have gained him the swag.

My understanding is you have to repay the money but you are allowed to retain any interest accrued on the amount deposited.

Jezston

Über Member
Did this myself once when I got a double payment for some work I did (around £900). Told the guy I was liasing with who told me to keep it! Put it in a high-interest savings account and waited. Eventually (almost a year later) their finance office got in touch with me asking for it back, which I duly performed.

Only got about £15 interest, so may have just been easier to have given it back immediately!

satans budgie said:
Gary

Found this...........

It is a legal requirement to pay the money back - the criminal offence is to "retain a wrongful credit".

Theft Act 1968 S.24A Retaining a wrongful credit

Off the top of my head it is an offence to knowingly retain a wrongful credit and dishonestly fail to take steps to rectify the wrongful credit.

"It is 'wrongful' if it is the credit side of a money transfer obtained contrary to S15A (Theft Act 1968).

It is also 'wrongful' to the extent that it derives from:

a) theft;
:smile: an offence under S 15A (obtaining a money transfer by deception);
c) blackmail;
d) stolen goods".

By the definition of the law, it looks as if the meaning of 'wrongful' does not easily indicate on this occassion an error or miscalculation but in this case the proceeds of a criminal act.

For those scurrying around to look up the S15A ....

"A person is guilty of an offence if by any means he dishonestly obtains a money transfer for himself or another."

Is it dishonest, as he didn't ask for the money nor did he decieve anyone into doing anything that would have gained him the swag.

My understanding is you have to repay the money but you are allowed to retain any interest accrued on the amount deposited.

Spot on. Pay it back straight away before plod gets involved.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'd offer it back immediatelly, it will look good on you as a professional and may benefit you in other ways in the future (but dont expect it to, its just nice if it does).

Ive always given back what isnt mine (found mobile phones etc etc), and on numerous occasions Ive gained in some other way from doing it (given £50 for returning said mobile phone as an apology for having to endure phonecalls from an angry abusive boyfriend when trying to return said phone by contacting last dialled numbers etc).

Top Bottom