I've been Shopping.....but not bought YET!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone.

I posted this a while back on advice on getting an upgrade here

I've had my first chance to get over to JE James Cycles today (in Chesterfield) to have a look around at what's on offer. I started with the intention of spending £1000 for a tourer, thinking of going off in the summer into Derbyshire on a few day trips etc - I didn't want a skinny tyre road bike (I've never ridden one...and they although I lost a load of weight....I wouldn't feel comfortable on one)....anyway - I digress!

No tourers at all in the shop but the guy I spoke to (who sold me my old bike and he's a good lad) showed me a whole load of bikes, road bikes, hybrids, all that could have pannier racks fitted - some that had pannier racks on already (flat bar commuter bikes).

I've taken his advice and I had a better look at the Specialized Tricross 2010 and it's just that bit wider tyres, has a good looking ride height variation and can have panniers on. At £699 (and I can't see it any cheaper on the net anywhere)....when you factor in racks and mudguards it's still well in my budget.

I just wanted to ask your opinions on it - I know nothing about shifters or breaks or gears or saddles or anything remotely road bikey (although it's a cross bike...you know what I mean). I did read a rather awful review of it in a cycle mag....but that's just the opinion of those guys and I wanted a wider perspective.

Another long winded, drawn out post from me but....can you guys give me a pointer or two?

Cheers.

Mick

PS - Just to throw something else into the mix - in late February early March - Edinburgh Cycles open a shop in Sheffield (fairly close to me) - I've been told because I've registered an interest...I'll get a discount voucher for the opening. Any experience of these guys, lots of posts commending their services....I tend to stick with what I know and who I know.....but if they're any good, should I wait.....this £1k is burning a hole in my cycling shorts! LOL :ohmy:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Easy answer...GO FOR IT.

Well respected bikes, quite a few folk on here have the Tricross single speed as well.

Norm

I'm looking at the Tricross Sport, slightly better components (Tiagra rather than 2300, for example, with a 9 speed cassette etc) for "only" an extra £150.

I'm hoping to get a test ride at the weekend.

Cheers lads!

Well they're good lads over at JE James, they're going to build me a 52cm and 54cm frame up for me to go and have a bit of a sit on to see which is right....I was honest with them - I told them they could sell me any old crap and I'd not know the difference....but I pointed out to them.....if they keep me happy....I'll be back again and again (bought my first bike from them).

I should show my loyalty and stick with them - I'm not going to get the price any better than that....penny pinching isn't worth it.

Norm - I'll ask them about the sport one - although it's a 9 speed cassette on the one I looked at...I remember him telling me that (I do listen with great interest....even though I don't understand half of it!) :evil:

I'm thinking about the decent Ortlieb (or however they're spelt!)...spend good money, get good kit (I tell people that with computers) and it's the same with bicycle stuff.

Mick

I'll tell you one thing - JE James WANT to sell you that tricross.. had exactly the same looking for a similar bike at the Bramall Lane branch, it was "forget everything else, tricross, tricross, tricross..

I was tempted and I have no doubt its a good bike though you mention mudguards...when you do try it, do check to overlap - pedal forward, check clearance of front wheel. It's a sporty 700c bike, clearance can be an issue sometimes. Esp. if adding mudguards to the equation.

And re: EBC, I ended up getting my new bike delivered to their Leeds branch for me to test ride (and eventually buy). Glad I did, I love the bike. It was either the tricross or the EBC country explorer for me, I plumped for the "lazier" bike since I do have a road bike to ride when i want twitchy speed.

Looking forward to looking in the new EBC shop when it opens.....

Top Bottom