I've done this in another forum...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ruraldean

Regular
Hi. Joined yesterday after a couple of days lurking. Lovely place. I'm Paul, a fit 65 year-old, married, kids, grandkids. I recently decided to dig out my Raleigh Pioneer Trail from the mid 90s, clean it up and see whether I could still stay upright on a bike.
It's been in a clean, dry environment and was mainly just dusty, so no great effort tbh.
I did 10km on day one, and I've been trying to do the same every couple of days. So far, no problems to report.
After a couple of weeks Idecided to research my bike to see if it still held some ground in the world of lightweight, modern bikes. It was that research that brought me here and I was impressed with the equality of the posts, and mainly the people.
For the record my bike is a 21 speed Trail with mudguards and a 21" 501 double butted frame. My research. led me to conclude that as I'm not going to be time trialling or uphill racing this appears to be a decent, if retro choice of bike, and I confess to loving it. As it suits me so well I've decided to spend some money and attention to preserving this old friend, rather than deserting it for some modern floosie.
That's me, and my old but immaculate bike.

OP
OP
Ruraldean

Ruraldean

Regular
The bike in question...

Attachments

• IMG_20200915_173618.jpg
    IMG_20200915_173618.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 5

All uphill

Still rolling along
Hi. Joined yesterday after a couple of days lurking. Lovely place. I'm Paul, a fit 65 year-old, married, kids, grandkids. I recently decided to dig out my Raleigh Pioneer Trail from the mid 90s, clean it up and see whether I could still stay upright on a bike.
It's been in a clean, dry environment and was mainly just dusty, so no great effort tbh.
I did 10km on day one, and I've been trying to do the same every couple of days. So far, no problems to report.
After a couple of weeks Idecided to research my bike to see if it still held some ground in the world of lightweight, modern bikes. It was that research that brought me here and I was impressed with the equality of the posts, and mainly the people.
For the record my bike is a 21 speed Trail with mudguards and a 21" 501 double butted frame. My research. led me to conclude that as I'm not going to be time trialling or uphill racing this appears to be a decent, if retro choice of bike, and I confess to loving it. As it suits me so well I've decided to spend some money and attention to preserving this old friend, rather than deserting it for some modern floosie.
That's me, and my old but immaculate bike.
Welcome!
501 Pioneers are nice, reliable, comfortable bikes.

PS Any chance of a picture?

You say that now but give it a couple of years and you'll probably have three or four bikes and be trying to justify getting another one.

Top Bottom