I've got a banjo ukulele

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Turned out nice again. :smile:

After not touching a musical instrument since leaving school a few years ago this banjo on eBay begged to be mine.

Now my little girl learnt ukulele at school so I have a chord chart, but how do I know if it's in tune?

I can fine a couple of online tuners, but how good are they, and can anyone point me in the right direction please?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Get a snark...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Qwik-Tune-Snark-Ukulele-Tuner/dp/B004Z17008

sn_6_ukulele1.22645447_std.jpg

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Turned out nice again. :smile:

After not touching a musical instrument since leaving school a few years ago this banjo on eBay begged to be mine.

Now my little girl learnt ukulele at school so I have a chord chart, but how do I know if it's in tune?

I can fine a couple of online tuners, but how good are they, and can anyone point me in the right direction please?
On line tuning tones are accurate enough.... don't waste money buying something!:ohmy:

You lucky devil!

I have got a couple of ukes (plus guitars, a banjo and a bouzouki) but a friend got hold of a ukulele banjo recently, and now I really would like one....

The most awkward thing about ukuleles is tuning them, and keeping them in tune. Especially when they are new, or not regularly played, or when you put new strings on them. The nylon strings stretch much more than steel guitar strings, but they do eventually settle to more or less constant tension.

You can download free tuner apps to mobile phones. But otherwise, buy a "clip on" tuner. Something like this, although there are tons of different ones on e-bay.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Clip-on-Guitar-Digital-Tuner-Fr-Electronic-Chromatic-Bass-Violin-Ukulele-UK-/300879523418?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item460dd12e5a

I just picked this one as an example - I'm not suggesting this in preference to any other.

On this type of tuner, you need to set the pitch of the tuner to "440" which is standard instrument pitch.

There are plenty of youtube clips which cover how to tune a uke. There are also loads of instructional videos there on various songs. Youtube is your friend for this!

Last thing: practice! practice! practice! And if you can find a uke club in your area, you should consider going to it. We go to one near where we live in Kent, and it covers all ages and abilities. It's a blast.

Good luck with the uke.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone.

After about two hours last night I managed a barely recognisable chorus of Waltzing Matilda, at about quarter the normal speed.

I've now got a Snark on order, the uke teacher at school uses one apparently, and it it's good enough for him...

Cheddar George

oober member
The Snark is easy to use, i keep it permanently clipped on so i don't lose it. While you are waiting for the Snark there is a good
free App callled "pitch lab" if you have a smart phone.

Top Bottom