I've joined the Dark Side

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:wahhey: :wahhey: :dance: :dance:

Great stuff @Smokin Joe !

You've been through the mill a bit on your choice and I wish you many happy and safe miles. :thumbsup:

Mind yer teeth ! :biggrin: There are a lot of (high protein :ohmy:) wee flying beasties around at this time of year. xx(

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Do I have to grow a beard before it arrives?

View attachment 106889

Beards are not essential - but I already had one.

Welcome to the currently small club of UK based Performer trike owners.
I imagine that the direct steer model you have chosen will be more stable than my indirect steer (because your front wheel are much closer to your seat) but the shorter wheel base may feel a bit more bumpy on rough surfaces.
If you have specced to have mudguards - drop me a message if you want a pair of my mounting brackets as the Performer ones don't last long. (Made of an alloy that is weaker than Cheddar cheese) If you haven't specced mudguards - you really will want to sort some out before Winter arrives.
I hope you enjoy your Performer as much as I have been enjoying mine!

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Beards are not essential - but I already had one.

Welcome to the currently small club of UK based Performer trike owners.
I imagine that the direct steer model you have chosen will be more stable than my indirect steer (because your front wheel are much closer to your seat) but the shorter wheel base may feel a bit more bumpy on rough surfaces.
If you have specced to have mudguards - drop me a message if you want a pair of my mounting brackets as the Performer ones don't last long. (Made of an alloy that is weaker than Cheddar cheese) If you haven't specced mudguards - you really will want to sort some out before Winter arrives.
I hope you enjoy your Performer as much as I have been enjoying mine!
Thanks.

I haven't specced guards as these days I am very much a fair weather rider and any runs on wet roads will be short. I take it they can be added to any model later if required? I chose that model because it's got a 700c rear wheel so a much greater tyre choice and being used to race geometry road bikes a bumpy ride doesn't worry me. I'm looking forward to losing the neck ache that comes with increasing age on a DF bike, along with shoulders, wrists etcetera. I've never even sat on a recumbent, but I know I'm going to like it and it will keep me cycling for far longer than DF would. One begins to worry about the effects of a fall as one ages...

Also, how long did yours take to arrive? I ordered Thursday morning and payment has been accepted and feedback received.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Retro fitting mudguards can be difficult if you cannot get the kit - but otherwise is simple enough. I believe that ICE charge something like £200 for their mudguard kit (According to an ICE owner I was talking to recently.)
If you are good at metalwork and fettling you may be able to make your own fittings.
I wouldn't ride mine without mudguards on anything less than a warm sunny day - and that was one of the reasons I got the Performer as my previous Trice didn't have mudguards and I couldn't think how to make a pair for it.
You may wish that you had gone for a 26inch rear wheel as I think you may find your trike a harsh ride (if you're riding on less than ideal roads, you cannot take the smooth path because only 1 wheel fits into the track)
I ran my Trice with a mountain bike tyre to give it a softer ride and it worked quite well. Still you can soon swap a wheel over if you want to.
If you bought from A1 adventuresports I would expect your trike to arrive in 2-3 weeks. Mine arrived within 2.
Putting it together is quite straightforward - apart from ensuring that the front cross member and tracking are correctly aligned. For the cross member you just have 4 bolts to tighten, I used a torque wrench and tightened them gradually in sequence to the same torque. If you have a completely flat garage floor and a spirit level this should be easy.
Tracking is more of a challenge, and if you get it wrong, you can wreck a pair of tyres within a few hundred miles.
You may not remain only a fair weather cyclist.....trikes on ice are great fun!

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Retro fitting mudguards can be difficult if you cannot get the kit - but otherwise is simple enough. I believe that ICE charge something like £200 for their mudguard kit (According to an ICE owner I was talking to recently.)
If you are good at metalwork and fettling you may be able to make your own fittings.
I wouldn't ride mine without mudguards on anything less than a warm sunny day - and that was one of the reasons I got the Performer as my previous Trice didn't have mudguards and I couldn't think how to make a pair for it.
You may wish that you had gone for a 26inch rear wheel as I think you may find your trike a harsh ride (if you're riding on less than ideal roads, you cannot take the smooth path because only 1 wheel fits into the track)
I ran my Trice with a mountain bike tyre to give it a softer ride and it worked quite well. Still you can soon swap a wheel over if you want to.
If you bought from A1 adventuresports I would expect your trike to arrive in 2-3 weeks. Mine arrived within 2.
Putting it together is quite straightforward - apart from ensuring that the front cross member and tracking are correctly aligned. For the cross member you just have 4 bolts to tighten, I used a torque wrench and tightened them gradually in sequence to the same torque. If you have a completely flat garage floor and a spirit level this should be easy.
Tracking is more of a challenge, and if you get it wrong, you can wreck a pair of tyres within a few hundred miles.
You may not remain only a fair weather cyclist.....trikes on ice are great fun!
Emailed Steve and he's going to include a set of front guards with the trike.

Top man :okay:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I was very impressed with the service I got from Steve as well. If you pm me your address I will send a set of my mounts to you. The long side mount that comes with your trike will be fine - but the part that bridges from the front wheel headsets is just not up to the job.

Top Bottom