I've made a survey about cycling in the countryside, please respond!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The first thing it does is ask you to sign in to your Microsoft account. I suspect that will deter many.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I don't want to appear negative, however this does come across somewhat "towny". To be honest, when you are in the countryside you expect to be around animals, I cannot think of any negative experience I have had with the horses, dogs, sheep, cows, deer, foxes, badgers etc that I sometimes meet along the way.
In contrast, on almost every ride I have negative experiences with the appalling state of the roads and the small minority of dangerous and inconsiderate drivers. I would say that these are the key elements that detract from people's enjoyment.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
It needs an introductory para or two to explain why you'd like people to help, and what its purpose is (we could possibly then help you frame questions that might better achieve your objective). As an example, you talk about a product, then an attachment - are you looking to design a bike-fitted animal scarer, or what, exactly? It's affect, not effect in Q1 btw.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I don't want to appear negative, however this does come across somewhat "towny". To be honest, when you are in the countryside you expect to be around animals, I cannot think of any negative experience I have had with the horses, dogs, sheep, cows, deer, foxes, badgers etc that I sometimes meet along the way.
In contrast, on almost every ride I have negative experiences with the appalling state of the roads and the small minority of dangerous and inconsiderate drivers. I would say that these are the key elements that detract from people's enjoyment.
Had sheep running up the road , bunny hoed a badger on an unlit lane and had a rabbit run under my wheel and knock me off .

D

Deleted member 23692

As someone who works the in the countryside, the only thing that is required is knowledge understanding and acceptance of what is the norm in rural areas.

The only negative experiences I've encountered are all human generated, so if you can create a cheap and effective product to stop folk being selfish, inconsiderate dickheads then you have my backing, but until then stop looking to solve a non-existent problem.

An 'aerosol face slap' would be a good place to start

icowden

Veteran
Agree with Rugby bloke. I can't see that anyone has huge problems with animals when cycling or why you would want a deterrent.

If it were effective against horses you are probably in some very murky ground, particularly if you scare a horse and it bucks the rider causing injury.

If you start worrying sheep, you are going to have a pretty livid farmer / shepherd to contend with. For dogs there is also the prospect of scaring them into attack rather than running awayl.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I haven't looked at the survey but I'd prefer something to attract wildlife rather than scare it away. Encounters with wildlife can be magical - one of the best reasons for getting out on the bike!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Sorry but my main problem with cycling in the countryside is not animals, but humans in metal boxes weighing upwards of 1 tonne. Whether or not I am on tarmac, I prefer animals and birds around me. Sure they can be a pain sometimes, for example a flock of sheep having a wander on your route, or the badger I hit causing me leg broken in two places. But the occasions they are is outweighed several fold by the visual and aural pleasure they provide.

Top Bottom