I've not missed the "joys" of motoring..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
Similar to a few on here until recently I loved honing around B roads in anything loud and quick. But I think I've bought my last car for a long time now. I enjoying creature comforts and tech, however the need for speed which has always driven the need to upgrade isn't there any more........

...Instead I'm finding been on my road bike makes me feel much more 'connected' to the road. Steering feel, pushing the limits of adhesion etc on all cars feel so numb compared to a road bike.

And as I proved to my self a few weeks ago, that adrenaline rush from driving fast is more than replicated on the bike, and than some....all whilst getting fitter :smile:

50089724476_cf899c66a7_c_d.jpg

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Nice gash.

Gunk

Guru
I had one of those back in the day, the performance was always erm disappointing and it had those dreadful run flat tyres. Then I fubared my left knee and went to a mk 5 DSG Golf GTI...which got stolen off my drive in the night...wtf!!

I’ve had Fiona the green meanie since and see absolutely no reason to change. Not even done 30k miles yet. Ok the tax is £150 a year or so, but my insurance is now down to about £300. Clearly any new car would cost far more in purchase and depreciation and potentially insurance.

I had a new Mk 5 GTi back in 2005, great car, so much better than the Mk4. I currently have a Mk7 GTD which Mrs Gunk will keep. The new Mini's are a real step up from the R56, completely different. the JCW now has 230 bhp and an 8 speed auto.

gzoom

Über Member
but much more fun than an A4 Avant or a 320d touring. That's the default company car. yawn!

Still ALOT less fun than any road bike, you could have x3 supebikes for £30k :smile:.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I still like driving, though I do live in an area with low traffic density. All my motoring for the past ten years has been done on bangers, the current wheels is a 2002 Almera with a fair few go faster stripes. All my own work as I do shop deliveries and a lot of my customers live down narrow little lanes with stone walls and overgrown hedgerows. That's the beauty of an old motor, get a new scratch and it's mildly annoying for a couple of minutes then you can forget all about it. The old bus cost me £700 three yeas ago, in the past I've had new cars which depreciated by two grand the moment I drove off the forecourt and continued to do so as I was clocking 40 - 50 thou a year.

I've got a bike, motorcycle and car, and of the three the car is the last I'd give up. The other two are very enjoyable, but strictly leisure tools.

D

Deleted member 26715

Can't say I enjoy driving anymore, I used to, we'd jump in the car & go to the coast, or away for the weekend at a moments notice, wouldn't think anything about buying something of Fleecebay a couple hundred miles away if the price was right to have a day out fetching it. But now the enjoyment has gone, not too sure why that is, we're down to a single car & the kitcar now, a 13 year old Rav4, I keep looking at changing it then think why? what's the point it does everything we want, why throw money away, the thought of that Mini for £30K I just can't see the money in it

Top Bottom