I've only gone and dunnit!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

Nice machine that. :biggrin:
My Trek 6500 is used for off-road and on road if need be. I have a set of wheels and tyres for both surfaces.
having the carbon fork is a good upgrade and will certainly be more forgiving on your arms when your on the road......although off-raod will still be a bit bone jarring on the front end.....unless of course you ride pathways and singletrack then you'll be fine.
Good all rounder indeed. :tongue:

got-to-get-fit

Yoinks.......thats a good looking bike.

I like roadies but this piece of mtb loveliness could convert me

fishheads

looks great, i'm looking to get something between 300-400 but cant decide yet which one , a bit off road but also doing a coast to coast and manchester to blackpool, i think i want a mtb which i can lockout susp and put some slick tyres on for the road??????

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
Most of the mainstream manufacturers make hybrids with suspension forks, with Gary Fisher being one that springs to mind. All the catalogues I picked up when looking are at work so I can't remember what the range they make is called. Something like dual sport perhaps?

tommo81

Jakes Dad said:
I'd appreciate a user review of the Marin once you've got it (Please)

I currently have a hardtail mountain bike but im looking to do more on the roads so a bike like this will be on the cards at some point this year

I've been looking at the GT range so far and i've had a test ride on a GT Legato which was very quick compared to my Giant Terrago

Simon

Ive had this bike for 4 weeks now, and have been using it for my 5 mile commute everyday. Two things - it does seem pretty heavy compared to other similar bikes I have tested. Secondly, the back brake stopped working properly after a about a week of use. I have since taken it back to the retailer who tightened it up, but sadly its function has not improved.

I have spoken to one other Novato owner who reported a similar problem. Not sure if its a model specific failing, or whether we've just had bad luck!

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
No trouble with the brakes on mine so far. Only issue I had was with a poorly aligned gear hanger.

water

This summer I bought a Marin Muirwoods [I have a Specialized Sequoia Elite for 'fun'].This for mainly road use carrying me and my camera gear/food etc on days out.Did 60 mile jaunt last Monday with a Nikon D200+2lenses+food on a seatpost rack and it was fine.So far I can say it's been a great purchase [£319 on line] and copes with the odd tracks/trails just fine,though the smooth tyres make things 'interesting' on grass and mud.
Unusually,it's a steel frame but it's no 'tank' and definitely worth component upgrades.I will aim to upgrade bits to Deore LX level as and when they wear out.
If I was 'allowed' only one bike this would be good enough as,with the tyres pumped up hard,it gives a reasonable turn of speed and gets me up the hilly bits in the countryside around Mid/East Lothian.
On the evidence so far I can recommend the Muirwoods to anyone looking for an 'all rounder' type of bike;).

John.

Looks fantastic to me :biggrin: I ride a very similar bike for commuting/general transport. I think you get better ride comfort with the slightly wider tyres and also find the handling much better that bikes with 700c tyres wheels.

Top Bottom