izip mountain trialz pwer problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza19

hi any help would be greatly appreciated i have a izip mountain trialz i thought the batteries had gone so i have put brand new ones in and i still have the same problem when the battery is in and switched on there is no power but when i plug the charger into it it works does anyone have any ideas of what it could be please help

Attachments

• B7E7F0E7-8632-40F6-AEA3-CC02064DE28E.jpeg
    B7E7F0E7-8632-40F6-AEA3-CC02064DE28E.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 7
  • 37C3B0F0-B1BF-465E-9A9F-53D241BD2A69.jpeg
    37C3B0F0-B1BF-465E-9A9F-53D241BD2A69.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 5

gbb

Legendary Member
Not conversant with ebike systems but using 'some' sort of logic ?...
Have you a multimeter to test the ctual voltage of the old and new battery ?
I notice the bike uses SLA (sealed lead acid) which is old basic technology but relatively cheap to replace.
Did you fully charge the new batteries before finding the bike only works when on the charger ?
When you say works on the charger...do you mean the motor actually runs or just the display lights up ?
Is any of the drive system removable...ie the display etc, check it's all secure and connected properly.
Ditto any wiring connections, I'd go through the system and check all connections are secure, no broken wires.

gbb

Legendary Member
And fuses as well.
Do you have the manual that came with the bike ?, theres a detailed fault finding section in the back of it that might help you.
I googled izip manual and soon found something that may relate to your bike. If you find similar, fault finding sections are usually at the back pages.

Fuses might be a good starting point actually. If you run a battery very low, the load or current the motor pulls increases dramatically and that can cause problems for fuses (someone can probably explain it better)

gbb

Legendary Member
Further thoughts...
I read the motor will not kick in unless you're turning the pedals (quite normal of course) which makes me think, is there a sensor on the cranks ?, is the wiring ok there ? (Again, not knowing the specifics of the system, just guessing)

OP
OP
gazza19

gazza19

hi gbb the bike has got pedal assist and twist and go but surely the throttle should light up showing the amount of battery it has but it dosnt unless the charger is plugged in

OP
OP
gazza19

gazza19

also in reply to what you said about does the motor run when plugged in the answer is yes it does but nothing lights up or works when the charger is not plugged in

CXRAndy

Guru
It sounds like the charger socket is faulty. Some have a contact that is connected when the charger is disconnected. Can you see how many wires or soldered contacts are on the charger point?

A digital multi meter is required to check the path of the battery supply

OP
OP
gazza19

gazza19

It sounds like the charger socket is faulty. Some have a contact that is connected when the charger is disconnected. Can you see how many wires or soldered contacts are on the charger point?

A digital multi meter is required to check the path of the battery supply
hi this is the charger port on the bike

OP
OP
gazza19

gazza19

hi cxrandy and gbb i haves tested the batteries and they are ok ive also put a new switch on there is no voltage at the terminals on the bottom of the battery when it is of the bike when it is on the bike and the charger is not plugged in then there is no power at all when the bike is switched on but is when the charger is plugged in so there is power going through the switch have u got a wiring diagram of the switch and do you have anymore ideas of what the problem could be thanks in advance of any help given

OP
OP
gazza19

gazza19

hi everyone sorted the power problem however the pedal assist wont work so any advise on how to fix that would be very much appreciated many thanks in advance for any help given

Top Bottom