Problem..Any suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have a question just in case there are any electronic grus in here.

Jannie and I both bought Moustache Friday 28.7 e bikes last year. They are lovely bikes.

I have charged my bike battery while it is on the bike and it is fully loaded. We have tried it on Jannies bike and it works fine.

My problem is that the controller on my handlebars is showing that the controller battery is empty.

Questions.

1. Should the controller battery charge up automatically when I charge the bike up?

There is a USB port on the controller. Do I need to use this to charge the controller battery. Independant of the bike battery.

Could the controller or controller battery be faulty. Its not the rain as the bike was only out for the photos to be taken. 🙂

I am also chasing this through the Moustache dealer who is 2 hours away.

The controller unit is a Bosch BWN300

20230424_154104.jpg

20230424_154051.jpg

20221107_142808.jpg

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
This is definitely IIRC territory but I think the controller needs to be charged separately . It was conversation so no link to back it up .

My Raleigh Motus uses a Bosch Active Line system, its a simpler version than yours and has no handlebar battery indicator for the detachable controller in fact there is no indicator at all for controller power.

However i can say the detachable controller charges itself when on the bike, and the USB socket on it is used to power other items not to charge the unit itself.

I can't help the OP as I'm not familiar with the BWN300 controller, which is probably newer and more sophisticated than my Intuvia. What is BWN300 as I couldn't find it?

Could it be that the empty battery symbol is not showing an empty controller battery but something else? (My Intuvia has no symbol to show a low internal battery in the controller but - according to the manual - does say 'attach to bike' for 3 seconds if that battery is low).

My hunch about this type of problem...either the main battery is empty (but you said your battery works fine in Jannie's bike) OR not making good contact, or the controller is not making a secure connection (did you take if off just beforehand?), or the speed sensor is not connected properly. Any of these will cause non-operation of the whole system. So says the manual for the Intuvia. Just a thought.

However on the other point that came up above, Slick and Ming are each half right. The Intuvia manual clearly says that the controller generally gets its power from the main bike battery, rather than from its internal battery - which is usually kept charged from the main battery. However if necessary it can be charged via the Micro USB port; and external devices, eg a phone, can be charged from the main battery using the same port.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I can't help the OP as I'm not familiar with the BWN300 controller, which is probably newer and more sophisticated than my Intuvia. What is BWN300 as I couldn't find it?

Could it be that the empty battery symbol is not showing an empty controller battery but something else? (My Intuvia has no symbol to show a low internal battery in the controller but - according to the manual - does say 'attach to bike' for 3 seconds if that battery is low).

My hunch about this type of problem...either the main battery is empty (but you said your battery works fine in Jannie's bike) OR not making good contact, or the controller is not making a secure connection (did you take if off just beforehand?), or the speed sensor is not connected properly. Any of these will cause non-operation of the whole system. So says the manual for the Intuvia. Just a thought.

However on the other point that came up above, Slick and Ming are each half right. The Intuvia manual clearly says that the controller generally gets its power from the main bike battery, rather than from its internal battery - which is usually kept charged from the main battery. However if necessary it can be charged via the Micro USB port; and external devices, eg a phone, can be charged from the main battery using the same port.

Never realised that, thanks. :okay:

Top Bottom