Carrera Crossfire E Womens bike problem(s)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hamsticle

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone else had had a similar issue to me with the Carrerra Crossfire e. It's a womens model but don't know if that makes a difference.

I bought my bike in April and collected it and then got Covid and pneumonia so it's maiden voyage ended up being just over 4 weeks after I collected it meaning my 30 day cooling off period can't help me.

When riding the bike, I can happily sailing along on mostly flat ground and suddenly the bike will limit me to 9.5mph and actively work against me to stop me going faster. I'm aware uk limits speed assist to 15ish mph but you can go faster under your own power (which I have on this bike) so I can't understand why it suddenly stops me going faster than 9.5mph no matter how hard I pedal.

Also, when travelling uphill, I don't notice it assisting me at all. Its incredibly hard work, no matter what setting I put it on. I had a different ebike previously which was brilliant and I went up hills with no problems at all.

The bike has gone in to Halfords who state there is nothing wrong with it and they can't replicate the faults. If i could, I'd just return it for my money back but stupidly left it too long to try it.

Has anyone else experienced this??

I would get a couple of other people to try it and see if they get the same problem.
I assume they will - and if they can give you it in writing then you have extra evidence to take to them

Once you have that then take it back again - the 40 day stuff is irrelevant - if it doesn't work so soon after buying it then consumer law says that you enttiled to you money back. They can attempt to fix it - but only a 'reasonable' number of times
Tell them - specifically - that you will give them another go at fixing it and it the fault still exists them you want your money back - or a replacement bike.
Put as much as possible in writing - i.e. email

Halfords seem to be variable - but if you get through to the right person they will follow the rules

Is it always the same on all power assist levels? I wonder if somehow it varies with the power of the rider. It's a torque sensing system like most mid-drive systems despite being a hub motor so the more power you provide the more assistance you get, maybe you are a weaker rider so don't get as much assistance. Lets say someone has 20Nm of torque output complains of poor assistance but someone with 40Nm of torque output tries the bike and gets good assistance and doesn't see the problem. However I thought the higher power assistance levels would compensate for this. The torque sensor on these Suntour HESC bikes has been known to be problematic and create issues. Some people have actually replaced the controller with a standard controller and cadence sensor to get greater assistance and also fit a throttle control so they have full control of power. I think its fair to say the Suntour HESC system doesn't work for all riders even when working properly.

gbb

Legendary Member
Is it always the same on all power assist levels? I wonder if somehow it varies with the power of the rider. It's a torque sensing system like most mid-drive systems despite being a hub motor so the more power you provide the more assistance you get, maybe you are a weaker rider so don't get as much assistance. Lets say someone has 20Nm of torque output complains of poor assistance but someone with 40Nm of torque output tries the bike and gets good assistance and doesn't see the problem. However I thought the higher power assistance levels would compensate for this. The torque sensor on these Suntour HESC bikes has been known to be problematic and create issues. Some people have actually replaced the controller with a standard controller and cadence sensor to get greater assistance and also fit a throttle control so they have full control of power. I think its fair to say the Suntour HESC system doesn't work for all riders even when working properly.

I almost mentioned the sensor which as you say can be damaged and cause problems. Certainly the sensor itself on my Crossfire is embedded within the crank/chainring cover, but the cable that feeds it is a bit exposed. I dont know of course if OPs bike uses the same system (Suntour HESC with the same sensor)
Ultimately in this kind of case...a thorough visual inspection, top to bottom is really the only option for someone at home, cables, plugs, looking for any damage etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom