Carrera crossfire e error 42

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrzej

Hello everyone. Do you know anybody i North London who can fix problems with ebike engine? When its raining my engine switching off and there is error 42 (water damage) shown on my display. I try to fix that issue in halfords (i bought it over there) but they told me they are not able to open engine (useless technicians) to See whats going on. Thats why i looking for somebody who know how to fix that.
Thank you for all information

If it is still in warranty then take it back - with proof of purchase - and ask again
If they still refuse ask to speak to the manager and tell them that they can either fix it ot replace it or give you your money back

If it is out of warranty then you have to be a bit nicer but you could tell them that, assuming it has not been modified in any way, that it should be able to stand some rain so it is not "fit for purpose" (important phrase) and you want it sorted
whether they can fix the motor or not is not your problem - they could easily replace the motor

If it is older than that then they can still fix it - if they do not have a suitable technician at that store then ask them which store DOES have one
at the end of the day they can always replace the motor if necessary

Can you say what motor and control system it has - it may depend on the age as they do change sometime - they did with my Carrerra CrossCity-e
Based on that you may find instruction on the WWW about taking the motor apart if you feel up to it

anyway - good luck

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd just add if the aforementioned doesn't work write a letter or email to the CEO stating how disappointed you are with their product and ask for his help.

OP
OP
Andrzej

Andrzej

I have a history of problems with halfords. Generalny my bicycle is 3yo. I bought Carrera Impel im-2. When i collect it, it doesnt work, try to imagine that. You collect brand New electric bicycle wich is not working at all. I get it back to halfords, first think they told me to do appointment. I collect it half an hour ago. After two weeks in service they write me email that they are not able to fix it and i have two options: money back or taking New Carrera Crossfire. Was littlebit more expensive but they give me for the same money. I agree. When i collect Crossfire it wasnt work as well. I didnt even drive of parking and i go back there. I start shout, security came. I explain my behavior to security and to manager. The first time(4 weeks afer buying Impel) i heard "sorry". They find out "technician" who assembly my bicycle forgot to connect power cable to connector. Finally they fix it.
Honestly i dont want to go to halfords any more Time. Its wasting of Time. Thats why i looking for some good service who can fix that issue in North london

Drago

Legendary Member
Error 42 is hall sensor failure in the hub motor.

While error 42 doesn't mean water ingress, the most common mode of hall sensor failure is water ingress but they can also fail for other reasons.

It can also be caused by the connector being loose or contaminated, so it's worth undoing, cleaning with with contact cleaner, making and breaking a few times and trying again.

Failing that a new wheel off ebay or the like is probably the most cost effective fix it you're not in warranty.

If it is in warranty and you have proof, then anecdotally they have a fair rep for replacing parts or even whole bikes, albeit parts supply can offtimes be poor and the wait times accordingly lengthy. Warranty pays them to make the repair and they're usually happy to chuck new parts what them.

Last edited:
I have a history of problems with halfords. Generalny my bicycle is 3yo. I bought Carrera Impel im-2. When i collect it, it doesnt work, try to imagine that. You collect brand New electric bicycle wich is not working at all. I get it back to halfords, first think they told me to do appointment. I collect it half an hour ago. After two weeks in service they write me email that they are not able to fix it and i have two options: money back or taking New Carrera Crossfire. Was littlebit more expensive but they give me for the same money. I agree. When i collect Crossfire it wasnt work as well. I didnt even drive of parking and i go back there. I start shout, security came. I explain my behavior to security and to manager. The first time(4 weeks afer buying Impel) i heard "sorry". They find out "technician" who assembly my bicycle forgot to connect power cable to connector. Finally they fix it.
Honestly i dont want to go to halfords any more Time. Its wasting of Time. Thats why i looking for some good service who can fix that issue in North london

Its been said many times before but it bears saying again

Halfords are a bit hit and miss
one store will be a total nightmare and the next one will be great

I had a problem several years ago where they "serviced" my old ebike and it wouldn;t work
they had it for a day to break it and had it 2 weeks trying to fix it and didn;t

Then I had a word - comprised of several single syllable words - with the manager and it turned out that the senior mechanic was off on holiday and one of the others had been assigned to it but he was not up to speed on ebikes

WHen the other guy came back all changed
they had buggered it up but as soon as he came back he started asking me sensible questions and contacted PowaCycle and got it all fixed

This can be the problem

with a LBS there are far fewer staff and they all have a broader range of experience - and if they can;t do something (which is seldom) then they will say at the start
Halfords can be OK - but then a technician or manager moves and it all goes to pot

IMO

Drago

Legendary Member
This is the problem with Halfords as @ebikeerwidnes says.
"Kevin is our ebike expert but he's" :
Left
Been transferred to auto spares
On leave
Gone to another branch

Delete as applicable.

Or never existed!

With the Carrera ebikes it's a different kettle of aquatic life, as they don't try and fix anything. They simply substitute components until it works, and if it doesn't they will replace the bike.

Top Bottom