Jabulani

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I believe the French also used the football in their league (sponsored by Adidas). That said most of the French play in non French leagues. Most of the Germans play in their home league. German Portuguese Swiss and French leagues all used it. Offered to national sides in Feb. I reckon its the altitude rather as much as the jabulani thats the cause of players skying it over the bar.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Look, England were poor. Get over it, people.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I'm not saying we weren't poor. The Germans would, no doubt, have played us off the park anyway. I just wonder how Fifa can justify introducing a ball that behaves so differently to a normal football when many leagues are contractually obliged to use other manufacturers' balls. The Germans don't need any advantages. We may not even have faced the Germans. England only missed out topping its group by one goal. The US major soccer league also used the Jabulani last season. The Americans don't seem over impressed with it themselves (link). To add insult to injury, the ball was designed at Loughborough University (link 1) (link 2) Though, according to link 2, Frank Lampard among others is supposed to have tested and endorsed it.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yellow Fang said:
I just wonder how Fifa can justify introducing a ball that behaves so differently to a normal football when many leagues are contractually obliged to use other manufacturers' balls.

They do it at every World Cup and there are the same arguments at every World Cup. And there was nothing to stop England from training with it - apart from Capello's refusal to do so.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
They do it at every World Cup and there are the same arguments at every World Cup.

So why do they do it? I can't remember the arguments being so vocal before. Johnston's more favourable to previous tournament balls.

Johnston said it was a shame the ball could have a negative impact on the tournament as adidas previously created what he considered two of the finest balls in The Fevernova and the Tricolor Ball.

I don't know, but I'm not sure Capello actually refused to train with the ball. There was a consignment of Jabulanis delivered to the FA that went missing. But even if they had been available, training with the new balls is not the same as playing competitive games with them.

Anyway, there seem to have been fewer penalty shoot-outs this tournament than we've got used to, so maybe it's had that benefit.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Ok, let's go back - here's just a few examples of previous issues with balls...
- 1982: the 'Tango Espana', a rubber-coated leather ball, whose rubber coating wore off during the game...
-1994; the 'Questra' which was apparently both softer and faster, and led to complaints
- 2002: the 'Ferernova' or "a ridiculous kiddy's bouncing ball " (Gianluigi Buffon), "too big and too light" (Edilson)
etc.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Yellow Fang said:
I'm not saying we weren't poor. The Germans would, no doubt, have played us off the park anyway. I just wonder how Fifa can justify introducing a ball that behaves so differently to a normal football when many leagues are contractually obliged to use other manufacturers' balls. The Germans don't need any advantages. We may not even have faced the Germans. England only missed out topping its group by one goal. The US major soccer league also used the Jabulani last season. The Americans don't seem over impressed with it themselves (link). To add insult to injury, the ball was designed at Loughborough University (link 1) (link 2) Though, according to link 2, Frank Lampard among others is supposed to have tested and endorsed it.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...gland-hit-back-in-row-over-Jabulani-ball.html hmmmm.

Without wishing to come across all Zimmers, this ball does seem to be designed for pussies. FIFA is intent on making football lightweight and balletic, but the result is a disjointed game, with shooting (Forlan aside) reduced to a lottery

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I've been doing a bit more googling. Jamie Carragher was saying how he thought the Germans had had a big advantage against Australia with having experience of the ball, after they thrashed Australia 4:0 in the first game (link). Even before the first game, David James was predicting that a lot of goalies would end up looking foolish (link). Joe Hart was saying the ball was going anywhere but sticking in his hand. I expect Joe Hart's not totally upset he's not had his reputation damaged by letting in some soft goal.

According to independent Japanese researchers, the problem is that the ball is too smooth (link). This means that when kicked hard, it suddenly goes from turbulent flow to laminar flow as it slows down, causing it to deviate. Golf balls have dimples to assist accuracy for this reason. I don't know if this explains that German punt up the field, which eluded Upson and Terry, going so far. That may have been down to altitude.

The designer at Loughborough university said they used a robot to test the ball. The robot was designed to kick the ball exactly the same way, time after time. Maybe it didn't kick it hard enough.

lazyfatgit

Yellow Fang said:
According to independent Japanese researchers, the problem is that the ball is too smooth (link). This means that when kicked hard, it suddenly goes from turbulent flow to laminar flow as it slows down, causing it to deviate. Golf balls have dimples to assist accuracy for this reason. I don't know if this explains that German punt up the field, which eluded Upson and Terry, going so far. That may have been down to altitude.

The designer at Loughborough university said they used a robot to test the ball. The robot was designed to kick the ball exactly the same way, time after time. Maybe it didn't kick it hard enough.

The answer then, must be the Mitre Mouldmaster.

Its not smooth, and it's very predictable. Any bounce, from any direction, is guaranteed to either knock out your front teeth, or break your nose. Unless its -5 on an ash pitch, in which case it goes into orbit.

Top Bottom