Jackdaws nesting in the soffit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's that time of year again when i notice loads of twigs on the doorstep... which reminds me that Jackdaws are nesting in the soffit above it.

I wouldn't dream of doing anything whilst they're nesting, but since the Jackdaw is a resident bird, I guess it's their home all year round?

This year they're nesting in the soffit on the other side too. Is this something that needs addressing, or should i just leave them be?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If the mess they make doesn't bother you then leave them be... we have a 'family' of about 16 jackdaws who cruise the gardens around our house all year- they're brilliant birds!

Jackdaws are a protected species. It's illegal to interfere with nests. If it gets to the point that they are causing damage they can only be eradicated by an authorised person.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
As mentioned, I've no intention of disturbing them when they're nesting. :smile:

Can't block the soffit without a scaffold (I have a good head for heights but not on a ladder)... however i'm hoping to get a scaffold up this summer to paint and putty the windows.

I'm happy to leave them be providing their nesting won't cause serious damage to the property. I rent so it's not really my problem, but i do feel I have a responsibility toward the house.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Depends if the soffit is open to the roofspace- we had starlings in ours one year and because the eaves isn't closed they got into the roofspace, pecked holes in the sarking felt and made a real mess.

Hicky

Guru
Jackdaws are a protected species. It's illegal to interfere with nests. If it gets to the point that they are causing damage they can only be eradicated by an authorised person.
You sure about jackdaw being protected...? If you value songbirds etc then encourage them to move on.

Top Bottom