Jaguar end ICE car production

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dicko

Guru
Not sure how true this is but I have seen the same on other sources so must be some truth in it .

Such a shame that such an iconic company who have made such fantastic engines .

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/ja...ingly sprinting full,back in February of 2021.

Linky no worky

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, they designed some fantastic engines.

Sadly, by the times they're been assembled they were quite often a long way from being fantastic.

TBH they're probably breathing a sigh of rellief. Lack of investment on in-house engine development has been marked, and when they did finally get round to developing the Ingenium series of engines it was a woefully uncompetitive unit. Being able to bin off ICE altogether and negate the need to try and catch up is going to save them much time, angst and lolly.

Slick

Guru
Link isn't working for me either, but I thought Jag announced this a few years ago now, and were probably one of the first to do so in the UK at least.

Emanresu

Stopping production of its gas-powered lineup before the electric models are slated for sale seems risky, but Jaguar is reportedly building up its inventory in hopes to carry it through until the EV models start rolling off production lines.

I remember the last car company at that site did something similar .... then exited production of all models for ever. Brands were sold off and Chinese alternatives offered.

Déjà vu?

Which bits of a Jag do Jaguar make themselves? If they are just assembling parts made in other factories, they have no special sauce and assembly can be done cheaper, better, in more advantageous tax/import/export zone.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
One of my best friends spent her entire career at Jag-Landrover (now retired). I'll ask her what she thinks of it. Her insider view was that Ford were terrible owners, but Tata (took over in 2010 ish?) were a distinct improvement and at least trying to do the right things.

Which bits of a Jag do Jaguar make themselves? If they are just assembling parts made in other factories, they have no special sauce and assembly can be done cheaper, better, in more advantageous tax/import/export zone.

Do any brand make it all themselves? Just because x brand has an engine factory doesn't mean engines are made by them, assembled perhaps but made, I doubt it in most big producers. Then again you might get a few brands assembled by the same company AIUI Romania has companies that actually assemble a few brands at the same site. Such as brands linked to Renault I think.

Spoken as someone who used to work for a company that supplied a lot of European car brands via a very large global components company who were our customers. JLR, BMW/Mini and VW just to mention a few. Plus trucks as well.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
we have a lot of sub assemblies built at different suppliers , some of them subsidiaries of the parent company .Out engines though are manufactured by their own factory in deeside in house and sent to us .

Drago

Legendary Member
One of my best friends spent her entire career at Jag-Landrover (now retired). I'll ask her what she thinks of it. Her insider view was that Ford were terrible owners, but Tata (took over in 2010 ish?) were a distinct improvement and at least trying to do the right things.

Ford nearly destroyed Volvo too and sold it at a considerable loss.

My BiL is a senior man at Jag, a lifelong career sort. Suffice to say when it came to spending his own 💰 he bought a BMW.

gbb

Legendary Member
They mooted this (ending ICE engines) and going exclusively EV some time ago i thought ?

The Ingenium engine was much vaunted when released and a colleague has an XF and loves it. Smooth, very economical....but there is now a growing disquiet about its reliability, with some failing prematurely

Top Bottom