Jagwire Elite cables, the segmented ones, anyone use them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am looking to buy brake cables and fancy the look of the segmented Jagwire Elite. The cables are to fit old school brake only levers as the gears are friction shifters. If you bought those cables what are they like in construction and operation?

Jagwire cables are poor quality. Don't get taken in by fancy concepts such as PTFE coatings and other rubbish. That stuff comes off and creates friction, not prevent it.

It is very difficult for the layman to judge the quality of cables because the differences are literally microscopic. Regular cable is made up for multiple strands of steel wire. Good cable undergoes one more process - the cable is drawn through a die afterwards to flatten the outer ridges. Imagine a cut-through section of a cable, it will look like a daisy with round petals. Once it has been pulled through a die, the petals will have flattened outer edges to create a smoother circumference. This process is expensive, but worth it.

Guarantee that you get that by buying either Shimano or Campag cable. Nothing else comes close. Buy a length and cut as you need. I don't see the point of pre-cut sections since you'll be trimming it in anyway.

Finally, cut using a cable cutter, not a side cutter.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
think the OP might been referring to the outers and not necessarily the inners. I think the outers are quite good however I do agree with the fancy inners that are out there and I do include Shimano in that. The PTFE coating comes off and can render a shifter bust ! To the OP try decathlon , they do what looks like to me Jagwire equivalents at less cost.

Don't get taken in by fancy concepts such as PTFE coatings and other rubbish. That stuff comes off and creates friction, not prevent it.
I understand that most coated and lined cable combinations use a PTFE liner within the outer, that much is important to me. I used Aztec cables for many years and used to haul the liner out and replace it with sleeve from a 500M spool I "found". The inner being coated is indeed a gimmick.
The PTFE coating comes off and can render a shifter bust !
There will be no broken shifters, its friction shifters and separate brake levers.

robgul

Legendary Member
If you mean the ones with the "beads" that form the outer then they are the work of Satan to fit .... and from customer feedback the end result is no better or worse than normal outers.

What they are arguably good at is routing the cables around the curves on bars smoothly . . . . but there are equally good/better options with the flexible outers that come with some of the higher end Shimano cable sets.

Rob

Finally, cut using a cable cutter, not a side cutter.
I use these

If you mean the ones with the "beads" that form the outer then they are the work of Satan to fit
Thank you, that is probably all I need to know. They are to fit a touring bike and will fail in the middle of nowhere, that much I always expect. I carry spare cables and it would be nice to fit them at the roadside without seeing the red mist rising. My intention was to carry spare cables and sleeves and thread the "beads" on the spare if the outer was damaged in a mishap. I thought it a good idea to armour the outer with solid aluminium sections but if they are a beggar to fit then no.
The advent of PTFE tubing liners was a boon for riders who might crush/kink the outer, the tubing protected the control cable from a displaced coil turn and the ensuing slicing of the inner cable. Beefing up the outer would have been handy, I'm not careless, multi week tours have consequences, especially if you hop by plane or train.

View attachment 500233

30+ years old and still as good as the day I got them.
Fine copper wire cutters from Lindstrom. Small but perfectly formed.
The finest small pliers and electronics plier tools known, anywhere in the universe. A friend bought a pair of cutters to trim braided stainless sheath on some Goodridge hydraulic lines he was assembling, a use way beyond the recommended, not a mark on the cutting edges after making a table full of lines.

Top Bottom