Jailing Killers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The longer those who kill are in prison, the longer the honest law having public are safe from them.

As Either deterrent or punishment I doubt it's terribly effective, but as a means of stopping the next person becoming a victim's it's very effective.
I think I would have preferred the previous people not to have become victims.

I would rather see the driver having to pay compensation to the victims family (along with a long driving ban) than going to prison.
And what if the victim has no family, or is estranged from them? I'm not sure about the custodial sentence, but I don't think she should be allowed to drive again. I just find the judge's comments completely at odds with his sentencing though. I don't know if his hands were tied by sentencing guidelines or precedent, or maybe by the fact that she wasn't actually on the phone at the time of the impact.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would rather see the driver having to pay compensation to the victims family (along with a long driving ban) than going to prison.
But driving bans didn't stop him, and I doubt the car was insured or taxed. That means it has to be seen on the road to stop him and in those situations he will flee and become a danger to others.

What is being totally missed is how the driver got there

69 driving convictions !!!!!!

Long sentences for drivers like this are too late

A zero tolerance policy early on would remove these drivers from the road

Make the 12 points and a ban unequivocal

Make three bans an automatic lifetime ban and suitable penalties for those who drive whilst banned

Get them off the road BEFORE a they kill

Drago

Legendary Member
Prisons are full. Society wants everyone locked up yet are neither willing to pay for it nor live near new jails needed to be built.

Bring back Borstals for young offenders. Of those that endured the ordeal around 90% never re-offended again. Alas, we can't treat them in a harsh regime, shout at them, give them bland and unexciting (but still perfectly edible and sustaining) food, or make them march or do manual labour because of the lefty commie-cuddlers on one hand, and human rights on the other. As a consequence 80% of young offenders are now convicted of another crime or offence within 2 years of release, and we keep having to put them in prison, or inflict a pointless community based punishment on the public.

sidevalve

Über Member
What is being totally missed is how the driver got there

69 driving convictions !!!!!!

Long sentences for drivers like this are too late

A zero tolerance policy early on would remove these drivers from the road

Make the 12 points and a ban unequivocal

Make three bans an automatic lifetime ban and suitable penalties for those who drive whilst banned

Get them off the road BEFORE a they kill
And HOW would a lifetime driving ban stop his sort ? They don't follow the rules anyway.
Quick suggestion fit the police helicopter with air to ground missiles and bang - no more car chases no more idiot.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
And HOW would a lifetime driving ban stop his sort ? They don't follow the rules anyway.
Quick suggestion fit the police helicopter with air to ground missiles and bang - no more car chases no more idiot.
Have you read any of the other threads involving police & justice? I'm not sure the majority of cycle chatters would trust the police with missiles. :-)

buggi

Bird Saviour
Its not just the maximum sentence that should be increased but the minimum. There is too much power given to judges to reduce sentences for mitigating circumstances and guilty pleas.

Currently a judge can reduce a sentence if someone pleads guilty and saves the victim or their families the ordeal of a trial. The correct way would be to INCREASE the sentence of they pleaded not guilty, but were found guilty, because they put the victim or family through the trial.

There should also be a drop dead minimum sentence for crimes and the judge should only have the power to increase the sentence depending on the severity. Eg, murder should be 25 years but time added if the victim suffered through, say, being tortured or a brutal death such as being burned alive (as opposed to instant death caused by a blow to the head).

buggi

Bird Saviour
I also believe that time for rehabilitation should not be served during the sentence. That should be done after the punishment had been carried out.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Eh? How does that work?

Prisons are supposed to be about rehabilitation.
No, prison is a punishment for the crime you have committed. It is a sentence. This is why the normal law abiding citizen loses faith in the system, bcoz they don't believe the perpetrators are properly punished or have a soft time or let out early. There should be a set period of punishment followed by a period of rehabilitation.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Yes. But punishment first, rehabilitation after.
Yeah, people who you've been harsh to are always the best ones to bring round to your point of view. I'm always happiest with the birthday presents I get from people who hit me with a big stick as they hand them over. It adds spice.

They need to go together, otherwise prisons just become schools on offending.

MY apologies for the delay, as I wanted to see if anyone else shared my solution, but did not want to lead

As I supsected there is the reasonable discussion over whether prison or rehabilitation is the way forward

This guy had over 60 driving offences, so has proved rehabilitation in his case is not happening and a custodial sentence is appropriate.

Going back to my original post...

Al we need to do is to settle upon a level where the driver has "proved" they are unwilling to drive safely and bring in the lifetime ban at that stage. Any further driving should be custodial with an escalation for repeat offences.
Having said that enforcing the ban at 12 points would be a start

Top Bottom