James Cracknell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1. He is sponsored by a helmet company, but fails to declare this when promoting the product
2. He has been spotted riding without a helmet - perhaps he should take his own advice
3. Wiggins injured his hand and wrist, if Mr Cracknell thinks that a helmet can reduce these injuries then perhaps he needs a few lessons in anatomy?

article-0-0BB45ACF00000578-518_468x648.jpg

GrasB

Veteran
"Bradley Wiggins and Shane Sutton were saved from more serious injury because they were wearing helmets, says James Cracknell."
Blah, blah, woof woof… To have any kind of real authority on this subject you need a physics with a strong grounding in bio-mechanics. I don't see is Mr. Cracknell, or doctors for that matter, walking around with that kind of qualification set...

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
"Bradley Wiggins and Shane Sutton were saved from more serious injury because they were wearing helmets, says James Cracknell."
Blah, blah, woof woof… To have any kind of real authority on this subject you need a physics with a strong grounding in bio-mechanics. I don't see is Mr. Cracknell, or doctors for that matter, walking around with that kind of qualification set...
It's not difficult to admit he's right mind....

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Well done, in that case I'll get one too!

Er, just looked at them.... you've got to be kidding... do you wear it all the time?

GrasB

Veteran
Nope, I use it in Italy only due to the terrain the speeds I'm getting to are much higher. There are other paragliding helmets you can use here's Icaro's range. I use the Grid Cut because of the aerodynamic advantage it gives over the open models. While 840g sounds heavy it's not actually that bad as it's much better balanced on the head than an open faced model.

Recycle

Über Member
This is such an over generalised subject.
Different types of cycling have different types of risk. Without getting into debate on helmet efficacy, there is a big difference in choosing not to wear a helmet in sports cycling and non-sports cycling. Even commuting carries different risks depending on your riding style and expertise.
Both Wiggins and Sutton are at the extreme end of the scale. They ride faster than most and spend far more time on the road which means the scale of the risk and the time spent exposed to the risk is different. They are not good cases to use to compare against most other cyclists.

Recycle

Über Member
From the article:
Drivers need to respect cyclists’ space, but in order to gain that respect cyclists need to obey the rules of the road. Shane and Brad obviously were. But even if only one or two per cent of cyclists ride through a red light, it gives all cyclists a bad name. Be lit up, wear the right clothes, have well-maintained bikes and well-fitted helmets.
The prejudice follows a predictable pattern.
1. Mention drivers responsibilities to create the illusion of impartiality.
2. Manipulate commonly held prejudices to limit the boundaries of drivers responsibilities.

Presumably if cyclists don't follow his guidelines it obviates the need for motorists to respect the cyclists space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom