James Golding - week record

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Inspirational stuff

MikeG

Guru
That's an interesting record. I guess mere mortals can look at that and think............yeah, maybe if I trained a bit and found a nice flat circuit, that wouldn't be beyond imagination. If Andy Wilkingson put his mind to that record, he'd probably be thinking "I could do 2,800 miles, not km".

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thanks for drawing attention to this. Fantastic effort by James. The role of cancer-surviving super-hero cyclist is in safe hands once again!

Interesting to note that Guinness sanctioned this not UMCA.
When I saw this I groaned inwardly. I find it a bit puzzling - UMCA seem to recognise distance-specific records down to 100 miles. Surely the weekly record falls within their territory?

But as a general point a lot of these endurance records are a niche area. I imagine a decent professional cyclist may look at them and say "yeah, but why would I want to do that to myself?"
I've often wondered about this. The annual record is one thing, but I wouldn't be so surprised if an ex-pro - perhaps someone who never quite had the speed to win races regularly - had a go at the week or the month. I live in hopes anyway. The hour record has sometimes been a target for a pro at the end of his career - Francesco Moser being perhaps the most famous example - and in some ways the weekly record sounds a doddle compared with preparing for and executing the hour.

Top Bottom