jamie oliver teaches meatballs to rotherham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Fnaar said:
hear hear... i like what he's trying to do, with school dinners and this (though I missed the prog)... wish he'd go and have a word with my sister... we were brought up the same, for gawd's sake, so why does she feed her kids on chips and not much else? it's attitude to life, amongst other things, not just education etc etc....
miind you... I've just polished off 2 Yorkie bars in the space of 15 minutes.... :smile:

Saddle bum

Über Member
What happens if the chavs adopt a healthy lifestyle and they all live long enough to draw their pension - it will bankrupt the country. Bad move if you ask me.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I didn't see the programme, but from the trailer and what I've heard about it..

The idea of a grown woman not knowing what boiling water looks like, that is truely awful. I can understand (not agree with, but understand) people living on chips and ready meals, but to never have boiled a pan of water...

<bangs head on table>

For it to have got so bad, that must be a second generation of ignorance. I watched my Mum boil eggs for us, and pasta and such like, and that's how I know what boiling water is. Did that woman grow up on a diet of ready meals?

Good on Jamie, once again, he seems to have got down to the basics. Delia lost it a while back I'm afraid (I watched some of her quick and easy series, and it was all poncy stuff from tins - I could have done better and cheaper and quicker) - although her classic cook book is good for basic recipes.

If people have lost the link at home, we have to bring back cooking in school. Not food technology or anything poncy, just simple, straightforward cooking. Spag bol, risotto, curry, sausage and mash, soups etc for mains, nice happy puddings like steamed syrup sponge, or fruit salad for afters. Get in a little bit of the message about balanced diet, but concentrate on basic techniques like using a knife, and not burning stuff. I'd be happy to see taxpayers money going on the bulk buying of ingredients for this sort of thing, if it got round the problem of families not having the store cupboard basics in...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fnaar said:
miind you... I've just polished off 2 Yorkie bars in the space of 15 minutes.... :smile:

I don't eat Yorkies anymore, since they did that stupid "not for girls" thing. OK, if they say so, I won't buy them. Anyway, they're not the same since they stopped being jaw breakingly hard. Might as well have a Galaxy...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I think Mrs Boiling Water was also the one who gave a little squeal of 'ooh!' when she turned the knob on the cooker and the gas-ring came on...as in 'so *that's* how cookers work...I'd always wondered.'

Arch

Married to Night Train
[quote name='swee'pea99']I think Mrs Boiling Water was also the one who gave a little squeal of 'ooh!' when she turned the knob on the cooker and the gas-ring came on...as in 'so *that's* how cookers work...I'd always wondered.'[/QUOTE]

<bang> <bang> <bang>

I'm getting a headache, I'll stop now.

How do these people manage to actually live, day to day? How could someone live in a house with a cooker, and not know how it worked? How do they know which foot to put each shoe on, or how to ring a doorbell?

<despair>

purplemoon

I just felt so sad for that little girl who had never tasted proper home cooked food and had lived on a diet of chips, kebab meat, crisps and chocolate all her short 5 years :smile:

I still can't get my head around how the mum could afford to buy take-aways night after night, have a fridge full of chocolate and junk food and also afford to drink and smoke on just £80 a week!

On top of that, her house was lavishly furnished for someone on benefits and she was dripping in gold jewellery. Something certainly doesn't add up! :smile:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
twowheelsgood said:
I found it quite interesting from many points of view, mainly as an insight into many people's lives.

For example the "broke" woman living on benefits had a house with an expensively fitted kitchen, new leather sofas and possibly the largest TV I've ever seen, basically better than anywhere I'd ever managed to privately rent in my adult working life.

She also smoked and drank, yet couldn't afford "proper" food, when "proper food" is cheaper than kebabs every night.

The harsh reality is these people are making choices. Bad and selfish ones and that's what's so hard to come to terms with. She could have fed her daughter much better if she really wanted too and that was what all the emotional theatrics were about; guilt. It isn't about food it goes far deeper than that.

And would you accept food from the fat greasy chav woman who couldn't stop touching her face while preparing food?

I haven't been to Rotherham, so I trust this isn't a representitive sample.

I wasn't aware there were any "chavs" in Rotherham.

Why do you not think it is not particularly representative of some areas, I would say it is. I didn't catch the whole of it though.

Top Bottom