jamie oliver teaches meatballs to rotherham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Just watched the first of jamie's latest series where he's going to teach everyone in rotherham how to cook meatballs.

I know a couple of people from rotherham and so am going to watch all year until it's their turn and have a right old giggle at them - the last time I saw them they were eating tomato sauce sachets for breakfast, albeit with a hangover.

Imagining the production meetings for this program:

A: "Let's set it in or around London as usual, as it will be logistically cheaper".
B: "But they'll demand to be learnt how to cook lobster a la bisque or sushi!!!! We can't afford that!!!".
A: "Ok, rotherham and meatballs then. They're not fussy".

Noodley

Good to see you back :blush:

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Why thank you. Did you see this program? You can make meatballs with mince and cream crackers, and fry them briefly, pouring a bit of tomato in at the last moment.

Noodley

Abitrary said:
Did you see this program?

Unfortunately I missed it. I shall make a point of watching next week - what culinary delights await? Are Cream Crackers going to feature next week?

Curry with crackers perhaps?

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

So far as I can tell, he's just trying to teach meatballs (and pasta) as a start. He's going to make the people he teaches teach other people, and so on, and monitor the whole process.

It's playing on this modern fashion where british women pretend they can't cook because it makes them look less like career women. In rotherham, of all places.

my son adores jamie oliver, and he aint even three yet!!

so, we have to watch all his programs, he is the man, people can slag him off cause it wont work, and yes, he does live in a bubble, but at least he's giving it a go, what annoyed me was that mum, who doesnt want to cook (anyone can cook if they actually try) and says she cant afford bus fare to get some shopping, but she can afford to smoke, and get take-away every night....- i can afford neither, but eat very well, and i work!!.

oh yeah, and that "ive had to pawn all my jewellery"- whilst wearing necklaces/earrings etc, and owning an unused 8 burner cooker..................................................................

Mr Phoebus

He's always putting a drizzle over the top of his dishes.
I wish he'd just wipe his chin with a cloth instead.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
2 classic moments;the woman who eats 10 packets of crisps a day, then a Galaxy bar for her pudding, and the one that didn't know what boiling water looks like, brilliant.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I admire JO for raising the debate. I realise he's not perfect but when you see these people feeding sh*t to there kids at least he's trying to make a difference. He could just sit back and make middle-class cookery programmes and spending his millions on a football club, like Delia.

WelshYiddo

rich p said:
I admire JO for raising the debate. I realise he's not perfect but when you see these people feeding sh*t to there kids at least he's trying to make a difference. He could just sit back and make middle-class cookery programmes and spending his millions on a football club, like Delia.
I'm with you on that - his heart is in the right place.
The nation is getting fatter (me included ;)) and that has to be down to less exercise and eating more crap.
When I were a lad (20+ years ago) chubby kids were the exception and sadly thats not the case now.

Good on you Jamie for having a go.......a lot less irritating now that he's not pretending to be a pwoper geezer.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
His stuff is actually pretty good - his ideas for quick meals, and shortcut ways of making old favourites work out pretty well every time we've tried them chez monkey.

Speaking of the above, Tana Ramsey (Gordon's missus) has a couple of good family cooking books too, her Marmite ciabatta is a firm favourite here.

twowheelsgood

I found it quite interesting from many points of view, mainly as an insight into many people's lives.

For example the "broke" woman living on benefits had a house with an expensively fitted kitchen, new leather sofas and possibly the largest TV I've ever seen, basically better than anywhere I'd ever managed to privately rent in my adult working life.

She also smoked and drank, yet couldn't afford "proper" food, when "proper food" is cheaper than kebabs every night.

The harsh reality is these people are making choices. Bad and selfish ones and that's what's so hard to come to terms with. She could have fed her daughter much better if she really wanted too and that was what all the emotional theatrics were about; guilt. It isn't about food it goes far deeper than that.

And would you accept food from the fat greasy chav woman who couldn't stop touching her face while preparing food?

I haven't been to Rotherham, so I trust this isn't a representitive sample.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
rich p said:
hear hear... i like what he's trying to do, with school dinners and this (though I missed the prog)... wish he'd go and have a word with my sister... we were brought up the same, for gawd's sake, so why does she feed her kids on chips and not much else? it's attitude to life, amongst other things, not just education etc etc....

Top Bottom