Jamis Icon Race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drewcus

I'm going to potentially buy a 2016 Jamis Icon Race today. Advice on value would be greatly appreciated.

Bike is missing some components, mainly handlebars, seatpost, saddle, and tires. Seller says it has not been wrecked although you can see scraping on the rear derailleur. Bicycle bluebook shows $345-568 for a complete.

Seller is asking $250. Plan is to build this bike up for my wife but I'm not sure if I'd be starting off in the hole.

Much thanks!!

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:
Be sure it is the right size for your BH. Bear in mind that part supply is not great at present. I would explore why the bike is in the state it's in: why remove the bars for example? Seat post and saddle missing is not an issue (but even second hand will cost circa $40).
And because you cannot ride the bike, various things that might be 'issues' cannot be discovered. Check the STIs have the required number of clicks.
I remember going to pick up a bike that I'd 'bought' on the bay. Made it clear I'd arrive by train and ride it away. 'Sorry, mate, it's got a flat tyre' which was punctured btw so couldn't just be blown up. I got it home (someone gave me a lift) and only then discovered various 'things' including a rear wheel issue and a broken FD. On the plus side, I've now done over 45,000km of said bike including end-to-end, LEL and PBP :laugh:.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Bike prices aren't even the same across the UK let alone across the pond. Take a look at local prices on US websites.

DRM

Guru
It looks like the clamps are missing from the shifters, the brakes are OE Tektro, and are utterly rubbish, the stack under the stem looks like an extension piece, I would question why it’s in such a state, it’ll cost a fair bit to get it back up to scratch, the rear derailleur looks like it’s been knocked about too, think on your basically buying a frame, try and price accordingly

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Looking at the condition of the rear derailleur and what I take to be the right hand shifter unit (the one on the left where they are pictured), that bike appears to have been in some form of accident. Bar removed due to damage?

OP
OP
D

drewcus

Thanks for the information guys.
Seller explained that this bike was left by a former tenant when they stopped renting nearly a year ago. So, no info on why its been partially disassembled. I agree that it looks like its been in an accident. I guess I'll get a better idea of the extent of the damage when I go look at it in person.
Given the feedback, I'll probably go in with a max $200 as this is what I would pay for a nice frame alone. Might still be a decent deal if the wheels and fork are in good shape.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Looking at the condition of the rear derailleur and what I take to be the right hand shifter unit . . . that bike appears to have been in some form of accident. Bar removed due to damage?
Good spot on the right STI. I think that's a very reasonable deduction, but nevertheless consistent with the seller saying that the bike's "not been wrecked";). The minor damage to the RD looks just that: minor. And the frame and other stuff should be fine. You can get a new rubber hood for the STI. Agree with @DRM assessment of Tektros, and have that stem clamp off to examine the steerer tube.
https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/iconrace.html
https://www.jamisbikes.com/16_pdf/16_iconrace.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

drewcus

Just wanted to give an update to those who might want it.

Bike was actually a size 56 instead of the listed 48 (measured it based on manufacturer's geometry, also had a 56 sticker on the seat tube :rolleyes:). It seemed in better shape than the pictures showed and the seller was willing to negotiate. Almost bought it for myself but I'm closer to a 58 and more importantly my wife wouldn't be too happy if I left to get her a bike and came back with (another) one for myself :laugh:.

Thanks again for the helpful info, fellas! I can still use this knowledge in future potential purchases.

Nibor

Bewildered
Always worth taking a chain wear checker when buying a bike as if the chain is very worn the bike could require a cassette and chain rings replacing too.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I restrained myself from asking whether your BH was 69 plus tall! The headtube length in the image in the OP gives a pretty good idea and if you'd said it'd been advertised as a 48 I would have said. You need to find a frame where the down tube and top tube are separated from each other merely by the competition for welding space on the head tube.

Top Bottom