Jamis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian Johnson

Hi Folks, Any one use a jamis road bike ?, not really heard much of this brand, need to get a new road bike after my trusty Trek2000 ultegra was stolen, Local shop has a 2008 jamis 'Xenith comp' carbon with ultegra/105 mix £995 in my size, the orignal selling price was £1600 . Seems a good buy. Any one experience of jamis ? thanks

e-rider

crappy member
Don't own one but seen them about for a few years now. They usually offer great value for money, but I have no idea about frame quality.

Do you know where they are made? N.America, Europe or another Far East cheapo?

yello

I was looking at getting a new Jamis Aurora shipped over to me from the US because I thought it was a good spec for the price, and it reviewed well too. Jamis actually describe the Aurora as a tourer, I'm not convinced of the spec for that purpose, but it would have been a darned good audax/light touring bike.

There was no dealer near me so my only option was to get one from Jamis themselves, but the shipping costs etc made it no longer a go-er. Shame, because I reckon it's a good looking bike.

OP
OP
I

Ian Johnson

Interesting,thanks chaps,looks like they have been around a while,its just you dont tend to see as many jamis as the other similar american brands like trek, specialized,giant etc, well it looks like some of the cycling mags like them ,giving them awards, very tempted by this xenith comp,be nice to hear from someone who has ridden one or owns one,might ask the shop for a test run:becool:

e-rider

crappy member
so they are an amaerican company producing bikes in china - that explains the value for money aspect then. I'd not expect the frame quality to be anything special; you get what you pay for, usually.

OP
OP
I

Ian Johnson

tundragumski said:
so they are an amaerican company producing bikes in china - that explains the value for money aspect then. I'd not expect the frame quality to be anything special; you get what you pay for, usually.

Fair point but most of the big brands manufacture their frames in china/tiawan even some of the prestigious italian ones,I dont think it neccassarily means they are of mediocre or even poor quality, my trek 2000 was made in tiawan, it was a good frame...seamless welds on the aluminium tube joints, strong and light etc

Crimmey

I have a Jamis Xenith Race, same frame, but a full carbon fork and not composite. I've changed lots of bits and pieces and messed with the setup loads but now I have it spot on I absolutely love it. For the money now though you have the boardman and planet x with the newer and lighter rival, I'd probably buy one of those if I had the choice now.

e-rider

crappy member
Ian Johnson said:
Fair point but most of the big brands manufacture their frames in china/tiawan even some of the prestigious italian ones,I dont think it neccassarily means they are of mediocre or even poor quality, my trek 2000 was made in tiawan, it was a good frame...seamless welds on the aluminium tube joints, strong and light etc

IMO there is generally a huge difference between frames made in China than in Taiwan.

Factories in Taiwan have been producing bike frames for several decades and Taiwan is one of the most developed countries in the far east with living standards similar to the west. In the last few years many large bike companies have moved production from Taiwan to cheaper countries like Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and of course China - the quality of the frames has definitely decreased as a result.

OP
OP
I

Ian Johnson

Crimmey said:
I have a Jamis Xenith Race, same frame, but a full carbon fork and not composite. I've changed lots of bits and pieces and messed with the setup loads but now I have it spot on I absolutely love it. For the money now though you have the boardman and planet x with the newer and lighter rival, I'd probably buy one of those if I had the choice now.

I was looking at the planet X website, they are mail order only aren't they, they look great value for money, full ultergra carbon for just under a grand! where are the frames from for that price ...china?

e-rider

crappy member
Wiggle sometimes offer the Focus Cayo 105 for £1000

It's a carbon frame and forks Made in Germany with Shimano 105 groupset - decent bike but not £1000 at the moment ;-(

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
There was some outfit called buyabike or somesuch that had a great deal on Jamis bikes a year or so back. I really liked the look of the Jamis Quest which was a steel frame racer. Checking their website now they've made it more of a compact frame and it doesn't look half as good although it's still a good spec.

OP
OP
I

Ian Johnson

threebikesmcginty said:
There was some outfit called buyabike or somesuch that had a great deal on Jamis bikes a year or so back. I really liked the look of the Jamis Quest which was a steel frame racer. Checking their website now they've made it more of a compact frame and it doesn't look half as good although it's still a good spec.

Thats where I saw the jamis xenth comp,they buy up all the remaining end of line stock from munufactures like jamis and trek etc and then do good deals on them. I got my trek2000 from there, a £1500 bike which i got knocked down to £800 it was an awesome bike, especially when I put Zonda wheels on it, fast as f***k ..now its gone:sad:

OP
OP
I

Ian Johnson

Still bike hunting, seeing as I am not going on holiday this year, (who wants to sit in an airport for hours on end waiting for ash clouds to clear anyway:wacko:) i am going to put a little more cash toward my bike which opens up a lot more opportunities. my heart is now set on a Giant TCR advanced 4 , local dealer will do a good deal for me.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/model/tcr.advanced.4/4857/43141/
anybody got one of these ,looks awesome in the flesh

Top Bottom