1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jan de Reus

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by dbeattie, 6 Jan 2017.

1. dbeattie

dbeattie Well-Known Member

Here's a 1980ish Jan de Reus 10 speed. My Dutch pal brought it over with him when he fell in love with a Scottish girl and married her. He gave me the bike in a rusty condition and I got it re - painted and put some new wheels and other bits on it. He's got it back now and is reliving his youth on the roads of central Scotland. Not finished in this pic. I rode it around for a while and it's splendid! 20161020_120221-1.jpg

2. alicat

alicat Veteran

Lovely!

dbeattie likes this.
  3. avsd

avsd Über Member

Very nice :-)

dbeattie likes this.
  4. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Looks biggish, what size is he? I like the fact that Jan de Reus means John the Giant!

dbeattie likes this.
  5. dbeattie

dbeattie Well-Known Member

It's 23 1/2 " seat tube cc, or whatever that is in cm. I'm 6'2" and it felt good for me. The Dutch man is about 1" shorter than me, and it's right for him.
    He grew up in a village called Zwannenburg just outside Amsterdam. Jan de Reus was a bike racer in the 50s (I think). He then had his bike shop in the village and had some of his custom built frames being ridden by French and Italian teams. The bike in the picture is from when his son had the shop - not one of the top of the range custom built jobs but an off the peg racer of the day. I believe the shop is still there and is run by Jan de Reus who is the son of Jan de Reus (the son of Jan de Reus)

uphillstruggler and Mort like this.
  6. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

That is very nice indeed

dbeattie likes this.
  7. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Nice :becool:

dbeattie likes this.