January ride for fish n chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Glad everyone had fun. My audax was an experience and a half. Up dark and early, into the start at Denmead at 7.45 for 8. Notwithstanding the strong headwind, I got rapidly dropped. I didn't have anyone to follow, was trying not to use the Garmin or phone too much to conserve the batteries, and didn't have a paper map. A few lessons for next time...Not surprisingly, ended up going the wrong way, and by the time I got to Whitchurch (first control) I was 40km up on the route distance. I decided to keep going for the 200k, but just do my own thing (third control, Wantage, was too far north). After a rather hairy diversion along the A34 (!!), met up with a few others at the next control, Kingsclere, again to go the wrong way heading south. Made it back to Denmead at about 8.30, home 9.10. Total mileage a fraction under 128, and great practice for my LeLOG. I'll definitely have another go at that route when it's a bit warmer & the day longer.

Stu,

Very brave of you to attempt your first 200k audax in January! It's a lot harder when you are constantly running out of daylight.

With hindsight you might have had a better time of it if you'd come with us. It would have been an early start for you (+ therefore maybe not possible) but you would have had a similar length ride but with people you knew who would have ridden with you / periodically waited to re-group. And you would have had the best carrot cake I've ever had and a monster piece of fish for lunch!

You mentioned that navigating was a problem: how did you get on with the route sheet? They're normally pretty good - but nothing is foolproof!

I'm sure you'll find your next 200k a lot easier for the experience.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Stu,

Very brave of you to attempt your first 200k audax in January! It's a lot harder when you are constantly running out of daylight.

With hindsight you might have had a better time of it if you'd come with us. It would have been an early start for you (+ therefore maybe not possible) but you would have had a similar length ride but with people you knew who would have ridden with you / periodically waited to re-group. And you would have had the best carrot cake I've ever had and a monster piece of fish for lunch!

You mentioned that navigating was a problem: how did you get on with the route sheet? They're normally pretty good - but nothing is foolproof!

I'm sure you'll find your next 200k a lot easier for the experience.
Definitely fancied it, but no dice- trains simply not early enough to make it to the start in time.
Route sheet was clearly not detailed enough for me- no distances, no road numbers, no compass bearings. I'll do my own next time! I had a GPX loaded on the 705, but was trying not to use it as I was worried about battery life (turned out I was right, I got the low power warning- didn't do that on the Loughborough ride!).
In planning for my LeJOG (end of May), I'm taking the view that the more prep I can do, the better. Not quite as planned for sure, but still glad I did it. I'll have another go at that route when it's a bit warmer & lighter!

frank9755

Cyclist
Thanks Mark for sharing.
I particularly liked the group photos of us in our private dining room, and the ones taken from out of its windows - the view of the boats and also the views of Ian polishing his bike fixing his puncture during lunchtime!

You must have been warm if you have 'taken the buff off' Frank. And Mick is wearing an excellent top - did he manage to keep hold of it?
:smile:

Nice photos Mark, and the outlook toward the sea, and toward the unknown, is just nice..No 22 - with the youngster running (across to the bikes!) :smile:

Top Bottom