January ride for fish n chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Hi all,

As part of my New Year's plans I intend to ride at least one 100 mile journey a month. A target that I believe I can achieve if I apply myself. January is a bit of a tough month due to other responsibilities but it's been suggested I do a ride to Southend (or Bognor or Brighton) for Fish n Chips. Anyone fancy accompanying me on this madness?

Current thoughts are an early start, likely meeting in Sloane Square due to the facilities (coffee n cakes) on either the 29th or the 30th. Suggestions, preferred date and routes will be appreciated.

Abs

PS: Happy New Year :biggrin:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Hi all,

As part of my New Year's plans I intend to ride at least one 100 mile journey a month. A target that I believe I can achieve if I apply myself. January is a bit of a tough month due to other responsibilities but it's been suggested I do a ride to Southend (or Bognor or Brighton) for Fish n Chips. Anyone fancy accompanying me on this madness?

Current thoughts are an early start, likely meeting in Sloane Square due to the facilities (coffee n cakes) on either the 29th or the 30th. Suggestions, preferred date and routes will be appreciated.

Abs

PS: Happy New Year :biggrin:

Hi Abs,

Always available for a 100 miler.... Don't forget though that (hopefully in Jan) there is the Not a Xmas ride to Bognor.

I'd quite like to do Hastings and back if that's a possibility.

M

redjedi

Über Member
I'd be up for this and any others you want to plan as I've got a target to reach this year so need as many long rides as possible.

Not sure if I can do the last weekend of the Jan yet as I may have to work 1 or both days :ohmy:

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Hi Abs,

Always available for a 100 miler.... Don't forget though that (hopefully in Jan) there is the Not a Xmas ride to Bognor.

I'd quite like to do Hastings and back if that's a possibility.

M

Ah I'd not been keeping up and hadn't realised that one was coming up. I'd prefer to do a day ride as there'll be plenty of FNRttCs to join in with if I'm struggling to meet my count. Hastings maybe a bit far as a warm up for the year, how about Whitstable? Slightly further than Southend and I suspect a nicer ride as well not having to go through Ilford/Romford. :?

Up for Hastings later in the year though which would be 150miles for me.

Abs

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ah I'd not been keeping up and hadn't realised that one was coming up. I'd prefer to do a day ride as there'll be plenty of FNRttCs to join in with if I'm struggling to meet my count. Hastings maybe a bit far as a warm up for the year, how about Whitstable? Slightly further than Southend and I suspect a nicer ride as well not having to go through Ilford/Romford. :?

Up for Hastings later in the year though which would be 150miles for me.

Abs

Whitstable sounds good to me. I suppose we'll have to do it at fairly short notice depending on weather etc but except for the Bognor ride I've got free weekends all Jan.

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Whitstable sounds good to me. I suppose we'll have to do it at fairly short notice depending on weather etc but except for the Bognor ride I've got free weekends all Jan.

Without having to trawl through the thread, when is the Bognor ride?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
29th I have other plans for, 30th I've pencilled in for my Audax debut (if you think you're mad, Abs, that'll only be 140-odd miles for me!)- and the train timetable rules out getting to London early on a Sunday anyway. But I'll certainly keep a look out for future rides. And don't forget I'm by the seaside ;)

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
29th I have other plans for, 30th I've pencilled in for my Audax debut (if you think you're mad, Abs, that'll only be 140-odd miles for me!)- and the train timetable rules out getting to London early on a Sunday anyway. But I'll certainly keep a look out for future rides. And don't forget I'm by the seaside ;)

Whitstable ends up being 140 for me as well. :biggrin:

I would love to do London to Cambridge for lunch via back roads that I planned and rode last year. Thinking May for that to coincide with my Birthday.

gbs

Guru
I might be up for this, particularly if you head, as originally suggested, towards B'ton. Uncertainties are 1) weather and that obviously applies to all; and 2) clearance from medics expected on 19th. The full 100 miles may be a little ambitious following a 3 monthh layoff so I will bring a railcard. Earlyish start I presume.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Southend is good for me.... and one of those dates too....
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Ok, Southend it is then. I'll take a peak at the ride data from the FNRttC and jot up a potential route trying to skip the the less picturesque trunk roads but from memory this may mean heading north through the likes of Epping and Abridge. Is there a feasible way of skipping the east end by travelling south of the river and crossing or will that depend upon numbers?

EDIT: Ooops sorry GBS didn't see your post. :?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ok, Southend it is then. I'll take a peak at the ride data from the FNRttC and jot up a potential route trying to skip the the less picturesque trunk roads but from memory this may mean heading north through the likes of Epping and Abridge. Is there a feasible way of skipping the east end by travelling south of the river and crossing or will that depend upon numbers?

Hooray for Southend...
biggrin.gif

Topcat know's a good daytime route....
If we go south of the River then we would have to cross at Dartford. OK for 2 people, any more then that and there could be a long wait for the Land Rover.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Abs, am up for this too as well as doing the 100mile a month challenge.

Southend is great for me too, nice and easy and of course, we get to go up and over shooters hill twice dont we??

Top Bottom