England : Greater Manchester Skolly's Manchester New Years Day social ride - 30 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
***Short Notice Alert!***

Apologies for the last minute post but this has just become possible for me.

How do you fancy a laid back 30 mile ride to start the new year? Cafe stop at the halfway point to get some hot food and drinks before continuing our South Manchester circuit back to the start point in central Manchester.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45193823

We will leave from Shambles Square, Hanging Ditch shortly after 10am and follow a twisty route through Manchester's urban sprawl to take in a clockwise southern loop via a varied range of neighbourhoods. We'll cycle on a Great Street, in fact we'll cycle on Every Street in Manchester (Although I promise not to take you down Canal Street!) and also make a small detour to visit the mysteriously named Secret Lake. We're even passing through Hollywood, but I don't think they'll make a film about our epic ride?

Refreshments are available at The Vinery Cafe in Bruntwood Park at around 11.30 (I just called them and they confirm they will be open from 11-4 on NYD). Once suitably warmed and fortified against the Manchester elements we continue a predominantly downhill coast back towards our start, crossing the Mersey at the Jackson's Boat footbridge (We visit the start of the Mersey earlier in the ride at the confluence of the Goyt and the Tame) and heading back into the Manchester Metropolis via Chorlton and Hulme to end back at Shambles Square.

Mostly riding on the road, I've aimed to avoid major roads wherever possible and chosen the more interesting alternatives that offer the potential for a quieter journey (I'm not expecting the roads to be busy anyway) often passing down residential streets or through parks etc. Some short parts of the route make use of gravel cycle paths which given recent weather may be muddy. It shouldn't be too rough, certainly no need for a mountain bike, but possibly not a good idea to use your best summer carbon road bike if you are uncomfortable about getting it mucky! I know much of the route but certainly not all of it and haven't done a reconnaissance trip so who knows what surprises we might turn up?

Still interested after reading all that? Post here if you intend to join me or have any questions. PM me if you need to ask anything that doesn't apply to the general forum membership.

T&C's; This is an informal cycle ride on public roads and land with friends. If you fall off, get run over, lose a tenner, break your bike, cheat on your wife, get arrested, etc then it's your own fault so don't come crying to me!

Domus

Guru
Sounds great but already committed to a Chorlton Wanderers ride on NYD. Sorry

Julia9054

Guru
Ooh - Al and I may be up for this. I thoroughly enjoyed the last one we went on - I think it was 2020 just before the world went mad!
He’s out at the moment - I’ll ask him when he gets in.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Vinery doesn't really fit with your target.
Maybe a quick pre-ride coffee at Another Heart To Feed (if it is open)...? :whistle:

Another Heart To Feed.png

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
***Short Notice Alert!***

Apologies for the last minute post but this has just become possible for me.

How do you fancy a laid back 30 mile ride to start the new year? Cafe stop at the halfway point to get some hot food and drinks before continuing our South Manchester circuit back to the start point in central Manchester.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45193823

We will leave from Shambles Square, Hanging Ditch shortly after 10am and follow a twisty route through Manchester's urban sprawl to take in a clockwise southern loop via a varied range of neighbourhoods. We'll cycle on a Great Street, in fact we'll cycle on Every Street in Manchester (Although I promise not to take you down Canal Street!) and also make a small detour to visit the mysteriously named Secret Lake. We're even passing through Hollywood, but I don't think they'll make a film about our epic ride?

Refreshments are available at The Vinery Cafe in Bruntwood Park at around 11.30 (I just called them and they confirm they will be open from 11-4 on NYD). Once suitably warmed and fortified against the Manchester elements we continue a predominantly downhill coast back towards our start, crossing the Mersey at the Jackson's Boat footbridge (We visit the start of the Mersey earlier in the ride at the confluence of the Goyt and the Tame) and heading back into the Manchester Metropolis via Chorlton and Hulme to end back at Shambles Square.

Mostly riding on the road, I've aimed to avoid major roads wherever possible and chosen the more interesting alternatives that offer the potential for a quieter journey (I'm not expecting the roads to be busy anyway) often passing down residential streets or through parks etc. Some short parts of the route make use of gravel cycle paths which given recent weather may be muddy. It shouldn't be too rough, certainly no need for a mountain bike, but possibly not a good idea to use your best summer carbon road bike if you are uncomfortable about getting it mucky! I know much of the route but certainly not all of it and haven't done a reconnaissance trip so who knows what surprises we might turn up?

Still interested after reading all that? Post here if you intend to join me or have any questions. PM me if you need to ask anything that doesn't apply to the general forum membership.

T&C's; This is an informal cycle ride on public roads and land with friends. If you fall off, get run over, lose a tenner, break your bike, cheat on your wife, get arrested, etc then it's your own fault so don't come crying to me!

I’m laughing at the t&c’s

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Count me in !! Might bring the Pashley, that fecker can go through anything !!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's getting closer and I've just looked at the weather forecast for Monday....

It certainly looks 'interesting' in the best Manchester fashion, but at least it isn't a big ride so if we do get unlucky we won't be out in it all day.
Hopefully not in the mini-tornado sense... :whistle:

I will be hiding indoors in the dry.

Maybe catch up with y'all later in the year.

Enjoy the ride!

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm getting ear-ache from SWMBO as I've been on the club ride today and she wants to go out tomorrow now she's recovered from a nasty bug*. Therefore I'm doing the local TT tomorrow morning and taking her out afterwards; the up/down side is she's got to come to the TT as it's en route.

As a result I won't make it - but hope you have a good ride.

* She thinks she's recovered, but is still coughing like a chain-smoker who's been sitting by a coal fire for decades.

Top Bottom