Jaws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
It was mostly filmed on Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts, and many of the landmarks are still there and very recognizable. Interestingly we just had the first shark attack in quite a time the other day -ended up with a man in hospital with serious puncture wounds. There's been an increase in seal population, and hence an increase in Great White sharks. If you are in an area where you know there are Great Whites, I always think it's a great idea not go in the water if you see a seal!

https://www.wcvb.com/article/video-...g-seal-feet-away-from-cape-cod-beach/22752280

Dave7

Legendary Member
Apparently The sharks really don’t like the taste of human. They think the human is a seal ( which they do like the taste of) by the silhouette they can see. Then they take a bite, then realise it’s a non tasty human and bugger off. It’s a bit late by then as great whites have very sharp teeth.
I have to disagree with that. I saw all those Jaws movies and those sharks didn't "bugger off" after one bite. :smile:

It was mostly filmed on Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts, and many of the landmarks are still there and very recognizable. Interestingly we just had the first shark attack in quite a time the other day -ended up with a man in hospital with serious puncture wounds. There's been an increase in seal population, and hence an increase in Great White sharks. If you are in an area where you know there are Great Whites, I always think it's a great idea not go in the water if you see a seal!

https://www.wcvb.com/article/video-...g-seal-feet-away-from-cape-cod-beach/22752280
By sheer co-incidence my son is over there at the moment and was swimming at the beach where the attack occurred. Being eaten by a shark was not previously on my list of worries for him!

Drago

Legendary Member
Brilliant film. Roy Scheider pours on the paranoia superbly, and a Robert Shaw gives the film performance of his life as Quint.
LargeQuintSign_HonorTheMan_14.jpg

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Loved that film, and for me the latter boat section was great. For such a rushed film that ran out of money, they did a superb job

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The movie that would have put the sea out of business had it been a business. Feck that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9QTSyLwd4w

I've always thought the first part of the movie was vastly superior to the "3 men on a not quite big enough boat" bit.

I agree that the second half isn’t quite as good as the first but there is something quite sinister about the barrels popping back up.

Is barrels attached to a harpoon gun even a thing is real life?

Drago

Legendary Member
It didn't help, either, when a big Great White (about 4-5 metres) swum under the rowing boat I was in, in a lagoon near Bateman's Bay in 1990. :eek::hyper:

I was scared shiteless, I think is the correct expression.

During my tour of Cyprus we were messing about in the sea one day when someone shouted "SHARK!" Cue a company of about 80 squaddies walking on water in our desperation to reach the beach.

Top Bottom