Jaws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The scene where Brody witnesses the little boy on the lilo get eaten employs a camera trick Spielberg 'borrowed' from Hitchcock's Vertigo. In Jaws, the depth-of-field background appears to suddenly 'deepen' and 'grow backwards' as the camera focuses on Brody. This was done by tracking the camera away from Brody (Roy Scheider) but using the lens to simultaneously zoom in keeping him in full frame. The results is a sudden 'depth of field deepening'. Hitchcock developed this trick in Vertigo and Tobe Hooper used it again in Poltergeist in the scene where the mother reaches the upstairs of the house in the climax and the corridor appears to suddenly 'extend'.

Here it is at 01.56:

In the cinema back in 1975 when I saw this with my parents, the bit where the head pops out of the hole in the boat is probably the biggest 'jump scare' I have ever seen. In the theatre, I witnessed popcorn go airborne as people jumped, some even went down the back of my shirt from the row behind!.

AndyRM

XOXO
Love that shot. I don't think there was anything cooler until the "bullet time" technique in The Matrix.

midlife

Guru
The scene where Brody witnesses the little boy on the lilo get eaten employs a camera trick Spielberg 'borrowed' from Hitchcock's Vertigo. In Jaws, the depth-of-field background appears to suddenly 'deepen' and 'grow backwards' as the camera focuses on Brody. This was done by tracking the camera away from Brody (Roy Scheider) but using the lens to simultaneously zoom in keeping him in full frame. The results is a sudden 'depth of field deepening'. Hitchcock developed this trick in Vertigo and Tobe Hooper used it again in Poltergeist in the scene where the mother reaches the upstairs of the house in the climax and the corridor appears to suddenly 'extend'.

Here it is at 01.56:

In the cinema back in 1975 when I saw this with my parents, the bit where the head pops out of the hole in the boat is probably the biggest 'jump scare' I have ever seen. In the theatre, I witnessed popcorn go airborne as people jumped, some even went down the back of my shirt from the row behind!.

I'm sure I was reading somewhere that a new drone can do that camera trick..... going to have an Internet search as it's bugging me.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The mechanical shark was done by SFX guru Bob Mattey, whose previous work had included the giant squid in Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
There are some fascinating videos on Youtube about this, including the original 'sunset squid attack' scene which was re-shot as a night time storm.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
But don't drink that beer! It's disgusting, a cheapo nasty brew. Don't ask me how I know.

Brilliant film. Roy Scheider pours on the paranoia superbly, and a Robert Shaw gives the film performance of his life as Quint. View attachment 426431

Top Bottom