'Jesus!' moments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purplepolly

beanzontoast said:
Impatience is the common factor in all three, Arch. The way someone treats a cyclist says a lot about their general driving habits, IMO. They mat well be like that all the time.

+1

I was driving into work on Friday morning and like most of the traffic was in the outside lane because of stopping buses and parked cars in the inside lane. I was being tailgated by the van behind and there was a well-lit cyclist alongside me in the other lane keeping in about secondary. (I'd actually overtaken him about 5 minutes earlier but he reappeared :wacko:)

The van driver then took the opportunity to suddenly switch lanes, undertook a couple of cars and then, just beforethe actual bus lane started, moved into a space barely longer than his van without indicating, forcing the car in front of me to slam on his brakes.

And the cyclist? I couldn't see how close the van got and he did come out unscathed, but it must have been a pretty close call as the lanes are fairly narrow - I cycle the same stretch most weekdays and it's very rare for a motorist to overtake without using part of the next lane.

Later on I had to take the inside lane before turning left and undertook the van driver in his queue - so all of that and all he did ultimately was get past one car.

bryce

Jesus. It's a wonder anyone actually commutes by bike reading all this.

purplepolly

Well in all fairness, on Friday I also saw several cyclists being overtaken by drivers in a sensible manner, the odd cyclist filtering through traffic and at least half a dozen colleagues successfully arrived at work by bike alive and well without police or ambulance intervention.

But good news is nothing to complain about.

I was riding my trike today in the primary position towards a mini-roundabout where I wished to turn right when I became aware of a BMW coming up from behind. He put his hazards on and kept well back from me, acting as a shield, until I cleared the roundabout. This from a BMW driver - JESUS!

Not on my commute but I had a wee bit of a Jesus moment today. I got a very wide good pass on a country road today but I don't think the driver saw the ped on the otherside till the last moment. It was a typical country road with no footway so the ped was walking on the other side facing towards traffic as you're supposed to do but not towards the overtking car and the ped was on his mobile phone. The driver seemed to react more than the ped.

purplepolly

:laugh:

I was on a train a few weeks ago when it did an emergency stop and the passengers kept on moving for slightly longer. Kids on the line again. Fortunately we weren't going too fast at the time and it was on a straight stretch so we stopped in time.

dibdab

I had a Jesus moment the other day, a huge chunk of plastic something or other came of a lorry in front of me, it smashed on the floor about 15 feet ahead of me, it broke in two, one piece flew past me on the left and the other on the right :smile:

I stopped for a while to get my breath back.:tongue:

Top Bottom