Jewellery Repair - Gold Bracelet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been tasked with getting a bracelet repaired, I must stress I am not a jewellery person and am a bit lost! Help!

The bracelet is AFAIK a 9ct Gold design, it is slightly too small and one of the hoops has detatched and needs re-attaching. It then also needs to be lenthened slightly.

In my mind the easiest way here is to snip off the broken pieces leaving 2 complete hoops at either end, then buying something like this Chain Extender to make it longer. Am I being a brute and is there actually a more delicate way a jewerally repairist might use?

Full view
IMG-20231204-WA0008.jpg

Close Up - You can see the detatched hoop on the upper section
Bracelet_Close_Up.png

YellowV2

Veteran
Take it to a jeweller.

Go find an independent jeweller who does on-site repairs. They will be able to make an additional link to match the rest of the bracelet. Of course, this is not the cheapest option because 9ct gold costs around £18 per gramme, and then you'll also be paying for the jeweller's skills.

But if the bracelet is a sentimental or regularly-worn item, then IMHO it pays to get it done properly.

DRM

Guru
https://www.doltonsjewellers.co.uk/
We've used these in Leeds, as recommended by a jewellery shop that Mrs DRM bought an item from, they use them & would have sent it in and put a percentage on if we wanted to, but said tell them we sent you, that link you posted makes me feel a little wary, they seem to cover everywhere, yet don't mention the workshop, just a generic page with, in my case Leeds placed in to the text, there's something about it I can't quite put my finger on, maybe a website that puts you in contact with a repairer, a bit like checkatrade does, but I'm sure there will be a shop in your locality you can find, that you can physically visit.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
https://www.doltonsjewellers.co.uk/
We've used these in Leeds, as recommended by a jewellery shop that Mrs DRM bought an item from, they use them & would have sent it in and put a percentage on if we wanted to, but said tell them we sent you, that link you posted makes me feel a little wary, they seem to cover everywhere, yet don't mention the workshop, just a generic page with, in my case Leeds placed in to the text, there's something about it I can't quite put my finger on, maybe a website that puts you in contact with a repairer, a bit like checkatrade does, but I'm sure there will be a shop in your locality you can find, that you can physically visit.

Yeah I googled 'direct jewerally repairs' or something similar and that came up, I hadn't done any due diligence on them yet though. Thanks for Doltons, thats local(ish) to me but not the owner, but thats not an issue as I can deal with it for them if they proceed. There is a local jewellers to me who have good reviews on Google but nothing on Trustpilot, they've been there 10+ years though if that means anything.

BTW some jewellery shops are proper jewellers who are able to carry out repairs, I have a vested interest in one such!

Thanks. The owner does have such a shop locally, just need them to decide if they want to proceed or not.

Top Bottom